[Kde-imaging] KIPI image viewer plugin update

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Sun Jan 28 15:34:38 CET 2007

Alle 04:33, domenica 28 gennaio 2007, Markus Leuthold ha scritto:
> > > new KIPI image viewer 0.1.1 available under
> > > www.titlis.org/kipi_imageviewer-0.1.1.tar.gz
> > >
> > > changelog to 0.1:
> > > - faster zooming/panning
> > > - better key/mouse bindings
> > > - nice cursors
> > > - improved handling of image selections in the host application
> > >
> > > please read the README and INSTALL file
> >
> > Hi Kusi,
> >
> > Can you explain a bit more about this project? Is this stand alone or is it
> > a kipi plugin? If stand alone the name might confuse our users? If a plugin
> > then my question is why develop it seperatly and not under the hood of the
> > kipi-project?
+1

> > Toma
>
> I use digikam to archive my images and I really like digikam. But digikam
> lacks of a good image viewer. Normally when I wanted to show images to
> friends, I was using kuickshow. Digikam needs a faster image viewer with
> better zooming capabilities. Therefore I wrote the kipi plugin, which is now
> even faster than kuickshow (if you compare to kuickshow with smooth rendering
> enabled). I can bind the viewer with a shortcut in Digikam and have now the
> photo management software I was looking for.
>
> I also develop a standalone version of my viewer in parallel, but this is not
> yet ready. My published viewer is KIPI only right now and does not work
> standalone.
>
> I didn't ask for inclusion in the kipi-project yet since it's a new piece of
> software I'd like to be tested before.
Well we've released a new stable right now, so this could be the right time to
do that..
> Also, you need a contemporary OpenGL
IIRC slideshow already need that.

> As soon as you start zooming, the entire image is loaded to videoram, that is,
> 20MB for a jpg of a 5mp camera. That will hurt new school window managers
Every plugin can be avoided either at compile time by packagers or at run
time by user, unchecking it so maybe that could not be a problem.
> such as Beryl. I'd like to hear first about the compatibility with Beryl/Xgl
Col, are you in? I believe Col can help there ;)

> etc... before inclusion in the kipi-project. I can't test it here since I
> don't have enough video ram.
>
> Next step willl be the addition of a slideshow. I'm aware of the existing
> slideshow plugin, but the data structure in the existing plugin is not ready
> for Ken Burns like transitions, where a image is moving around during its
> entire lifetime.
Valerio is the one who maintains slideshow plugin by now. I believe there's
no problem working togheter here, Valerio?