[Kde-imaging] KIPI image viewer plugin update

Colin Guthrie kde at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jan 28 22:23:06 CET 2007

Angelo Naselli wrote:
>> As soon as you start zooming, the entire image is loaded to videoram, that is,
>> 20MB for a jpg of a 5mp camera. That will hurt new school window managers
>> such as Beryl. I'd like to hear first about the compatibility with Beryl/Xgl
> Col, are you in? I believe Col can help there ;)

I've just taken it for a quick spin and the results are promising.

I'm using Beryl on AIGLX, so cannot comment for Xgl usage, but it work "OK".

There were issues however and I did get a lot of blank areas when
initially viewing and the zoom level seems to be a bit broken/hard to
control, but it was QUICK!!!

So I'd vote for slapping it in SVN and taking development from there. I
would offer help with making it work under beryl/compiz etc., but to be
honest I know very little about OpenGL programming and I'm kinda busy
with the sync changes (got a few non-commited files ATM, but it's still
a long way off!).

I can perhaps try to get a few of the beryl devs involved in testing it
and helping fix it as there are definately a few KDE users there and I'm
sure they would be interested in getting it to play nicely.

All the best.

Col.