[Kde-imaging] KIPI image viewer plugin update

Markus Leuthold kusi at forum.titlis.org
Sun Jan 28 04:33:44 CET 2007

> > new KIPI image viewer 0.1.1 available under
> > www.titlis.org/kipi_imageviewer-0.1.1.tar.gz
> >
> > changelog to 0.1:
> > - faster zooming/panning
> > - better key/mouse bindings
> > - nice cursors
> > - improved handling of image selections in the host application
> >
> > please read the README and INSTALL file
>
> Hi Kusi,
>
> Can you explain a bit more about this project? Is this stand alone or is it
> a kipi plugin? If stand alone the name might confuse our users? If a plugin
> then my question is why develop it seperatly and not under the hood of the
> kipi-project?
>
> Toma

I use digikam to archive my images and I really like digikam. But digikam
lacks of a good image viewer. Normally when I wanted to show images to
friends, I was using kuickshow. Digikam needs a faster image viewer with
better zooming capabilities. Therefore I wrote the kipi plugin, which is now
even faster than kuickshow (if you compare to kuickshow with smooth rendering
enabled). I can bind the viewer with a shortcut in Digikam and have now the
photo management software I was looking for.

I also develop a standalone version of my viewer in parallel, but this is not
yet ready. My published viewer is KIPI only right now and does not work
standalone.

I didn't ask for inclusion in the kipi-project yet since it's a new piece of
software I'd like to be tested before. Also, you need a contemporary OpenGL
setup in order to get improvements over digikams viewing capabilities. Is
that ok for the kipi-project?

As soon as you start zooming, the entire image is loaded to videoram, that is,
20MB for a jpg of a 5mp camera. That will hurt new school window managers
such as Beryl. I'd like to hear first about the compatibility with Beryl/Xgl
etc... before inclusion in the kipi-project. I can't test it here since I
don't have enough video ram.

Next step willl be the addition of a slideshow. I'm aware of the existing
slideshow plugin, but the data structure in the existing plugin is not ready
for Ken Burns like transitions, where a image is moving around during its
entire lifetime.

Kusi