[Kde-imaging] Discussing the future of kipi and kipi-plugins

Sebastian Röder sebastian.roeder at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Jan 22 23:38:01 CET 2006

In this post I want to give my view point concerning the question how one
could speed up the somewhat slow development of kipi-plugins.

My short answer is: regard the nice idea of sharing certain functionality
between KDE imaging programs as failed - bring the kipi and kipi-plugins code
back to digikam-core and do the further development there.

Here are my in detail explanations for that:

1) The idea is good but the world is not ready for it yet ...
In my opinion the kipi/kipi-plugins approach of sharing code with other
programs mainly put additional load on the shoulders of the digikam devels.
Sharing code is only good when it means coordination with benefits for all
participents but this is not the case. To my surprise even the kipi homepage
says that the work is done by digikam. And I heard more then onces from
digikam devels that this is frustrating ...

2) Coordination is a lot of additional work ...
Having kipi and kipi-plugins development outside the main digikam project
means additional SVN, mailing lists, web administration, release
administration, all which could be avoided when kipi funktionality is
maintained as core part of digikam.

CONCLUSION: the way things are done atm slows down both digikam and kipi
development and thus should be changed to the better.