[Kde-imaging] Some comments on plugins and a feature request

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Mon Jul 19 17:17:01 CEST 2004

On Sunday 18 July 2004 22:43, Renchi Raju wrote:
| On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
| > | I am playing with all the plugins to see how they work, and I just have
| > | some comments:
| > |
| > | 1) There are two plugins that do the same job:
| > |
| > | - "Convert to Blank and White" plugin; and
| > | - Tools -> Batch -> Color Images -> Grey scales
| > |
| > | I think the second one is a lot better than the first one. Since it
| > | give us the change to chose a lot of things like overwrite mode, target
| > | directory, previewing, seeing the image file list ...
| > |
| > | I think that having duplicated features is uncomfortable for the user.
| > | So, I think it would better if "Convert to Blank and White" plugin were
| > | disabled by default.
| >
| > What is the reason for having the "Convert to Blank and White" plugin?
| > Could it be removed?
|
| the "convert to black and white" is a lossless jpeg operation (which also
| does conversion of other image formats - these in a non-lossless
| mode). the tools -> batch -> ... operation is a regular non-lossless
| operation (pixel based operation).
|
| > | 2) Right now there are three "rotate" functions in Kimdaba:
| > |
| > | - The old one in the configure image dialog (and the best one for me),
| > | - The Rotate plugin, and
| > | - The EXIF Rotate/Flip adjusment plugin
| > |
| > | I am a little confused by the last one. What does it exactly do?
| >
| > Yes, what does the last one do?
|
| i'm guessing the first one is from kimdaba.
| the second one is jpeg lossless rotation - user specifies the angle
| (90,180,270) and the image is rotated by that angle
| the third one is a special case of jpeg lossless rotation - it looks at
| the exif information in the image and automatically rotates/flips the
| image (without user intervention) according to the exif orientation. It
| also resets the exif orientation to that of a normal orientation on
| completion.
|
| now, the explanations are out of the way, i admit there's a bit of
| confusion as to whats expected to happen in the Case 1) and user might
| think there are redundant operations. two options:
|
| a) rename all the jpeg lossless operations as "Lossless rotation / flip/
| convert to bw" as such and strip of all non-jpeg operation from this
| plugin.
|
| or
|
| b) retain the current operations on non-jpeg files in jpeg lossless plugin
| and strip of redundant operations from the batch plugin.

I opt for (a) the extensions in batch plugin is usefull in itself.

I also suggest that "EXIF rotate/flip adjustment" is renamed. I dont know to
what, but the name seems very unintuitive to me.

Why is "Find duplicate images" in a submenu for itself btw?

Cheers
Jesper