[Kde-imaging] Fwd: [KimDaBa] Some comments on plugins and a feature request

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 18 22:43:15 CEST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:

> | I am playing with all the plugins to see how they work, and I just have some
> | comments:
> |
> | 1) There are two plugins that do the same job:
> |
> | - "Convert to Blank and White" plugin; and
> | - Tools -> Batch -> Color Images -> Grey scales
> |
> | I think the second one is a lot better than the first one. Since it give us
> | the change to chose a lot of things like overwrite mode, target directory,
> | previewing, seeing the image file list ...
> |
> | I think that having duplicated features is uncomfortable for the user. So, I
> | think it would better if "Convert to Blank and White" plugin were disabled
> | by default.
> What is the reason for having the "Convert to Blank and White" plugin? Could
> it be removed?

the "convert to black and white" is a lossless jpeg operation (which also
does conversion of other image formats - these in a non-lossless
mode). the tools -> batch -> ... operation is a regular non-lossless
operation (pixel based operation).

> | 2) Right now there are three "rotate" functions in Kimdaba:
> |
> | - The old one in the configure image dialog (and the best one for me),
> | - The Rotate plugin, and
> | - The EXIF Rotate/Flip adjusment plugin
> |
> | I am a little confused by the last one. What does it exactly do?
> Yes, what does the last one do?

i'm guessing the first one is from kimdaba.
the second one is jpeg lossless rotation - user specifies the angle
(90,180,270) and the image is rotated by that angle
the third one is a special case of jpeg lossless rotation - it looks at
the exif information in the image and automatically rotates/flips the
image (without user intervention) according to the exif orientation. It
also resets the exif orientation to that of a normal orientation on
completion.

now, the explanations are out of the way, i admit there's a bit of
confusion as to whats expected to happen in the Case 1) and user might
think there are redundant operations. two options:

a) rename all the jpeg lossless operations as "Lossless rotation / flip/
convert to bw" as such and strip of all non-jpeg operation from this
plugin.

or

b) retain the current operations on non-jpeg files in jpeg lossless plugin
and strip of redundant operations from the batch plugin.

renchi