[Kde-imaging] Some comments on plugins and a feature request

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at free.fr
Mon Jul 19 22:46:21 CEST 2004

Le lundi 19 Juillet 2004 17:17, Jesper K. Pedersen a écrit :
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> | > What is the reason for having the "Convert to Blank and White" plugin?
> | > Could it be removed?
> |
> | the "convert to black and white" is a lossless jpeg operation (which also
> | does conversion of other image formats - these in a non-lossless
> | mode). the tools -> batch -> ... operation is a regular non-lossless
> | operation (pixel based operation).

Remark : an -lossless option for imagemagick can be used for to solve this
point. But i think it's not important...

You have missing a big difference between JPEGLOssLess plugin and batch
plugin : the first one can be operate only on the current ablum, the second
can be operate on a list on files from differents albums.

Also, for the plugins results :
JpegLossLess -> source = target.
Batch -> source != || == target.

> | > |
> | > |

> | > Yes, what does the last one do?
> |
> | i'm guessing the first one is from kimdaba.
> | the second one is jpeg lossless rotation - user specifies the angle
> | (90,180,270) and the image is rotated by that angle
> | the third one is a special case of jpeg lossless rotation - it looks at
> | the exif information in the image and automatically rotates/flips the
> | image (without user intervention) according to the exif orientation. It
> | also resets the exif orientation to that of a normal orientation on
> | completion.
> |
> | now, the explanations are out of the way, i admit there's a bit of
> | confusion as to whats expected to happen in the Case 1) and user might
> | think there are redundant operations. two options:

Not really redondante for the reasons above. But it's certainly confuse. A way
for to solve that is a full documentation for this plugins.

Nota : i have provide a full 'what's this' info on batch  plugins.

> | a) rename all the jpeg lossless operations as "Lossless rotation / flip/
> | convert to bw" as such and strip of all non-jpeg operation from this
> | plugin.
> |
> | or
> |
> | b) retain the current operations on non-jpeg files in jpeg lossless
> | plugin and strip of redundant operations from the batch plugin.
>
> I opt for (a) the extensions in batch plugin is usefull in itself.

me too.

> I also suggest that "EXIF rotate/flip adjustment" is renamed. I dont know
> to what, but the name seems very unintuitive to me.

If you have a best option name...

> Why is "Find duplicate images" in a submenu for itself btw?

Because ihave planed some new tools in this submenu like find aproximate
images (like ImgSeek !), find comments, etc.

Regards