[Kde-imaging] Fwd: [KimDaBa] Some comments on plugins and a feature request

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Sun Jul 18 21:20:18 CEST 2004

Gilles, this is esp for you I think.
Rafael talks about KimDaBa, but as it si KIPI, it does of course apply to all.

| Hi Jesper and everybody,
|
| I am playing with all the plugins to see how they work, and I just have some
| comments:
|
| 1) There are two plugins that do the same job:
|
| - "Convert to Blank and White" plugin; and
| - Tools -> Batch -> Color Images -> Grey scales
|
| I think the second one is a lot better than the first one. Since it give us
| the change to chose a lot of things like overwrite mode, target directory,
| previewing, seeing the image file list ...
|
| I think that having duplicated features is uncomfortable for the user. So, I
| think it would better if "Convert to Blank and White" plugin were disabled
| by default.
What is the reason for having the "Convert to Blank and White" plugin? Could
it be removed?

| 2) Right now there are three "rotate" functions in Kimdaba:
|
| - The old one in the configure image dialog (and the best one for me),
| - The Rotate plugin, and
| - The EXIF Rotate/Flip adjusment plugin
|
| I am a little confused by the last one. What does it exactly do?
Yes, what does the last one do?

| Additionaly, both plugins work on all the images in the database if no image
| is selected and they do not show a warning message. This makes them a little
| tricky when you are just playing with all the plugins to learn what you can
| do with them.
|
| I think both plugins should be disable by default too.
Rafael, the "working on all images" will be changed shortly, we had a long
discussion in KIPI, and we are working on changing that. (KIPI people: I
admit being wrong about this ;-)