[Kde-i18n-pt_br] Question About Header Capitalization (2nd try)

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini em kde.org
Sábado Maio 3 15:36:05 CEST 2008

(First one was posted from wrong address to the doc list, sorry)

Hi, people. I have a question from the pt_BR team, which is currently
undergoing a new surge of activity, with lots of new people and energy
resulting from our first Brazilian meeting.
The question regards capitalization of menu items. According to the
usability wiki, these should use header capitalizatio:

http://wiki.openusability.org/guidelines/index.php/Guidelines:Menu_Items

So in this case:

Save As -> Salvar Como
Open File -> Abrir Arquivo

Some people consider that this is not "proper" Brazilian Portuguese, and
that we should do regular capitalization, like:

Save As -> Salvar como
Open File - > Abrir arquivo

Others reasoned that in titles it is OK to use header capitalization,
even in Portuguese, and this includes for example names of songs and
other situations.

MacOSX and KDE3.5 in Portuguese use header capitalization, but Vista is
not consistent, with most programs (including Office, Firefox) going for
the sentence form, even in menus.

I would also like to request comment from people involved in KDE 3.5
translation, and also our Gnome pt_Br friends, if possible. They seem to
use header capitalization for menus as well (consistent with KDE 3.5).

So, is this an usability guideline that should be followed in localized
versions as well? What do other Latin languages do, and what do our
friends in the Portuguese team do in this case?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini