[Kde-i18n-fa] name conventions

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Mon May 31 21:18:33 CEST 2004

On Monday 31 May 2004 05:39, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:
> On Yek-shanbe 10 Khordad 1383 23:31, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > That said, I am using the french KDE right now, and I tell you,
> > they haven't translated any names. I know that some of these
> > English names are unreadable for a French reader, but still, the
> > french team has decided not to translate names at all. Maybe
> > Arash or someone who has use KDE in another language, can tell us
> > what is the practice there. I think we should really go and see
> > what other languages have done.
>
> The most important  difference is rance is using the same alphabet
> as english do, but our is basically different. I can suggest
> looking at the arabic translation of the KDE, if that is a mature
> project we can learn a lot of them.

It doesn't matter wether the alphabet is the same or not. First of
all, the alphabet of most european languages have some differences
with each other (none of them is exactly like English). Second, as I
said it doesn't matter wether the alphabet is the same or not. 'Tux
Paint' doesn't have any meaning for a French, but still it is written
'Tux Paint' and not 'Tux Peinture" cause it is the name of the
application.

There is a line here. Don't write everything as the english one. For
example in the K Menu I see that French have translated Office to
'Bureautique' but under it's submenu, OpenOffice is simply written as
OpenOffice. So they have translated most of the menus, the only thing
that they haven't translated is the name of the application itself.

Also as Arash mentioned, in KMenu there is a description of the
application in paranthes, these should be translated.

I don't think Arabic is a mature project. I think they started
translating KDE after us, and from what I have seen, they aren't
active at all (I could be wrong though, I haven't checked their
status for many months).

Cheers
--
/* It is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it
is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a