[Kde-i18n-fa] name conventions

Arash Bijanzadeh a.bijanzadeh at linuxiran.org
Mon May 31 07:39:53 CEST 2004

On Yek-shanbe 10 Khordad 1383 23:31, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> On Sunday 30 May 2004 07:48, Platoali wrote:
> > Hi
> > I've two questions about translations of the names.
> >
> > 1. I've asked this one before. but  I will ask it again because of
> > making sure. there are many inconsistency regarding names.What
> > should we translate the names like clonebombers, tetris and tux
> > racer? Should we translate theme to their meaning in Farsi, or
> > translate them to Farsi alphabet and with their English
> > pronunciation with some alterations, for example America and
> > آمریکا and ogel? Or don't do anything with them? I think none of
> > these approaches work 100% in all situations.
> >

> > 2. Some names like gedit, xedit, nedit and many more are translated
> > to tree different forms. some of them are not translated at all.
> > for example kedit and kmail. some of them are translated partially
> > to Farsi like Xeditor  to the ویرایش‌گرx  (virayeshgar X)  and grip
> > to (pareh_konandeh_yeh  G!!!) and some of them are translated
> > completely to Farsi. Which one is correct?
>
> We really should get some convention here.
> I think no approach will work. Writing english names with farsi
> alphabet isn't the best practice, it is sometimes unreadable. I
> personlay don't like it.
>
> I think if the application's name is translatable then we should
> translate it. I reckon  these two words that you mentioned, xedit and
> grip are my translations, and I like them. I don't think we can come
> to an agreement here, possibly we should just be a little imaginative
> and creative.
>
> That said, I am using the french KDE right now, and I tell you, they
> haven't translated any names. I know that some of these English names
> are unreadable for a French reader, but still, the french team has
> decided not to translate names at all. Maybe Arash or someone who has
> use KDE in another language, can tell us what is the practice there.
> I think we should really go and see what other languages have done.

The most important  difference is rance is using the same alphabet as english
do, but our is basically different. I can suggest looking at the arabic
translation of the KDE, if that is a mature project we can learn a lot of
them.

> > I think someone should put some regulations like this to the
> > translation guide so that  all translators know about them.
> >
> > best regards
> > platoali

Television has brought back murder into the home -- where it belongs.
					-- Alfred Hitchcock