[Kde-i18n-fa] name conventions

Arash Zeini a.zeini at farsikde.org
Sun May 30 22:28:18 CEST 2004

Hi,

I agree with Aryan and many other languages that I have come across: Not to
translate names at all. And this was our latest convention. Whatever is
translated is from old times.
I think we should just use the English name in Latin alphabet. A
translations is awful and and people just get confused as to what
application it is referring. A Farsi transcription is not nice looking
either.
Just use the special feature of KBabel to copy the string to the
translation for these cases.

NOTE: that in KDE menu you can have a commentary displayed in front of the
name of the application. This one is usually put in parentheses. We can
use Farsi there.
However I have found some really messy translations there too :(

Greetings,
Arash

In a message dated Sunday 30 May 2004 00:48, Platoali wrote:

> Hi
> I've two questions about translations of the names.
>
> 1. I've asked this one before. but  I will ask it again because of
> making sure. there are many inconsistency regarding names.What should we
> translate the names like clonebombers, tetris and tux racer? Should we
> translate theme to their meaning in Farsi, or translate them to Farsi
> alphabet and with their English pronunciation with some alterations, for
> example America and  آمریکا and ogel? Or don't do anything with them? I
> think none of these approaches work 100% in all situations.
>
> 2. Some names like gedit, xedit, nedit and many more are translated to
> tree different forms. some of them are not translated at all. for
> example kedit and kmail. some of them are translated partially to Farsi
> like Xeditor  to the ویرایش‌گرx  (virayeshgar X)  and grip to
> (pareh_konandeh_yeh  G!!!) and some of them are translated completely to
> Farsi. Which one is correct?
>
> I think someone should put some regulations like this to the translation
> guide so that  all translators know about them.
>
> best regards
> platoali

The FarsiKDE Project
www.farsikde.org