[Kde-i18n-fa] Very OT: Do we have the W sound in Farsi?

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Tue Jun 15 23:08:53 CEST 2004

Le Saturday 05 June 2004 12:21, Platoali a écrit :
> One of the best thing you can do is that you go and see what other
> people have done before you. I think you are living in Turkey.

I live in Cyprus. I live among the great people of Cyprus. Just because
they speak Turkish doesn't make them Turks you know.

Cypriots get offended when they are called 'Turks'. Don't call them
Turks, call them Cypriots or Turkish Cypriots, but not Turks.

> They
> have done it before. What was their  solution?

Don't you realize that Farsi and Turkish are two completely different
languages? They are not even from the same root, Farsi is an
Indo-European language, Turkish is a Turkic language. What Turks have
done can not help me in any way, cause they speak a different language.

> On Tuesday 01 June 2004 04:41, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > Hi there:
> >

> > When I originally designed Pelatin, it consisted of all English
> > letters except W. I also added â for long a, š for sh and ž for zh.
> > the apastrophie ' is also used to deal with the deep sound which is
> > used in some Arabic words (represented by the letter Ein in the
> > current Farsi -Arabic script). The accent Grave is also used as a
> > sign of repitition (tašdid).
> >
> > Anyway, I have gone to great extent on the rules of this alphabet.
> > From the basic letters, to rules such as where to capitalize, how
> > to write foreign names, and how to deal with traditional Farsi
> > rules such as 'qalb-e be mim' (the word šanbe is pronounced like
> > šambe...)
> >
> > Of course I am not a linguist, and my work certainly needs lots of
> > corrections.
> >
> > But...
> >
> > There is one aspect of this alphabet that I don't know how to deal
> > with. After designing my alphabet, I found out about the works of
> > other organisatoins and people who have also designed a latin
> > alphabet for Farsi language. In nearly all of them, they use the
> > letter W. As much as I think, I really don't see why this sound is
> > needed in Farsi. Maybe it's just my pronounciation, but I really
> > don't pronounce W in my speaking. let me give you some examples:
> >
> > Pelatin			Others
> >
> > Molâ				Mowlâ
> > No				Now 		(New)
> > Noruz			Nowruz
> > Gohar			Gowhar
> > Nobar			Nowbar
> > Nozâd			Nowzâd		(infant)
>
> I think When we pronounce we should have it in our alphabet. It makes
> reading easier. Look at a dic that gives you phonetic pronunciation
> and find out if we pronounce it or not. I looked at Mo'in and found
> out that in nowruz we pronounce it. So  I prefer nowruz. Sorry I
> don't have time to check the others!!

I will count your opinion, and thanks for replying. But I don't regard
Mo'in that high anyway.