[Kde-i18n-fa] Very OT: Do we have the W sound in Farsi?

Platoali platoali at gawab.com
Sat Jun 5 14:21:38 CEST 2004

One of the best thing you can do is that you go and see what other people have
done before you. I think you are living in Turkey. They have done it before.
What was their  solution?

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 04:41, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> Hi there:
>

> When I originally designed Pelatin, it consisted of all English
> letters except W. I also added â for long a, š for sh and ž for zh.
> the apastrophie ' is also used to deal with the deep sound which is
> used in some Arabic words (represented by the letter Ein in the
> current Farsi -Arabic script). The accent Grave is also used as a
> sign of repitition (tašdid).
>
> Anyway, I have gone to great extent on the rules of this alphabet.
> From the basic letters, to rules such as where to capitalize, how to
> write foreign names, and how to deal with traditional Farsi rules
> such as 'qalb-e be mim' (the word šanbe is pronounced like šambe...)
>
> Of course I am not a linguist, and my work certainly needs lots of
> corrections.
>
> But...
>
> There is one aspect of this alphabet that I don't know how to deal
> with. After designing my alphabet, I found out about the works of
> other organisatoins and people who have also designed a latin
> alphabet for Farsi language. In nearly all of them, they use the
> letter W. As much as I think, I really don't see why this sound is
> needed in Farsi. Maybe it's just my pronounciation, but I really
> don't pronounce W in my speaking. let me give you some examples:
>
> Pelatin			Others
>
> Molâ				Mowlâ
> No				Now 		(New)
> Noruz			Nowruz
> Gohar			Gowhar
> Nobar			Nowbar
> Nozâd			Nowzâd		(infant)

I think When we pronounce we should have it in our alphabet. It makes reading
easier. Look at a dic that gives you phonetic pronunciation  and find out if
we pronounce it or not. I looked at Mo'in and found out that in nowruz we
pronounce it. So  I prefer nowruz. Sorry I don't have time to check the
others!!

Best regards
Platoali