[Kde-i18n-fa] Very OT: Do we have the W sound in Farsi?

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Tue Jun 1 02:11:54 CEST 2004

Hi there:

As some of you might have noticed, I am currently busy working on the
(probably hopless) job of designing a new alphabet for the Farsi
(persian) language based on Latin alphabet. You have seen some of my
examples with these alphabet. BTW, the alphabet is called Pelatin
(Persian-Latin)!

When I originally designed Pelatin, it consisted of all English
letters except W. I also added â for long a, š for sh and ž for zh.
the apastrophie ' is also used to deal with the deep sound which is
used in some Arabic words (represented by the letter Ein in the
current Farsi -Arabic script). The accent Grave is also used as a
sign of repitition (tašdid).

Anyway, I have gone to great extent on the rules of this alphabet.
From the basic letters, to rules such as where to capitalize, how to
write foreign names, and how to deal with traditional Farsi rules
such as 'qalb-e be mim' (the word šanbe is pronounced like šambe...)

Of course I am not a linguist, and my work certainly needs lots of
corrections.

But...

There is one aspect of this alphabet that I don't know how to deal
with. After designing my alphabet, I found out about the works of
other organisatoins and people who have also designed a latin
alphabet for Farsi language. In nearly all of them, they use the
letter W. As much as I think, I really don't see why this sound is
needed in Farsi. Maybe it's just my pronounciation, but I really
don't pronounce W in my speaking. let me give you some examples:

Pelatin			Others

Molâ				Mowlâ
No				Now 		(New)
Noruz			Nowruz
Gohar			Gowhar
Nobar			Nowbar
Nozâd			Nowzâd		(infant)

I have asked many of my friends wether we need the W sound in Farsi or
not. I haven't been able to come up with a definite answer. As I
said, I personally don't see the need for the letter W, and I
personally don't pronounce these words with a W sound. But maybe I am
mistaking. Please help me clarify my mind. Do we have the W sound in
Farsi? Do we say Noruz or Nowruz?

I am sure most of you are laughing your a** off, thinking how stupid I
am to waste my time over such matters. Well, stupid or not, it has
become an itch for me, and I am determined to finish my job.

All comments are appreciated

Thanks for your help on this very off-topic subject

Cheers
--
/* It is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it
is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a