[Kde-i18n-fa] Re: [Sysadmin] KDE Translators Center : FARSI vs. PERSIAN

Hadi hadia at cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Wed Jan 7 02:27:30 CET 2004

Hi
I am no one important, but as an Iranian i think i have the right to
express my opnion too. And i completley agree with Arash. As he said
there are many more of us who agree with his line of argument. But for
variety of reasons we have kept silent and not got involved in this debate thus far.
But maybe it is time that we let our voices be heard so the small
millitant minority dont think that the loud silence is in agreement with them.

> No, it doesn't need to be changed. I am getting sick of this
> semi-religious, fundamentalist movement of "back-to-the-roots" Iranians,
> who just deny progress and development of languages. Some of them even
> refer to the Oxford English Dictionary editions prior to 1979, because at
> that time Farsi was not listed. Ignoring the fact that now it is listed.

This is a sad side, if these people were to look, they realise that the
oxford dictionary
grows larger and larger every year due to NEW WORDS, and these new words
are treated with same respect as previous words. I bet if they were to look in
the 1979 dictionary they might
have difficulty finding terms like "internet" or "ecommerce" does that me
we do not use them or revert to some archaic terminology.
Furthermore farsi is not as new as they claim one of the earliest mention
is in 1878 in the Chamber's Encyclopaedia.
http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/00082453?single=1&query_type=word&queryword=farsi&edition=2e&first=1&max_to_show=10

> This thing happened 1400 years back or so. Our language has changed and now
> we use F instead of P in Farsi; what is wrong with that? Please bring
> valid arguments or don't mention that thousands or even hundreds of years
> back a new sound was introduced to our language. The fact that you mention
> this, denotes from which side of the river you are coming!
> I don't hear you calling "Deutsch" "Teutsch", which- if I am not wrong- was
> the old way to say "Deutsch".
> Or is change OK for all other languages but ours?
> Our beloved Persia, oh the good old times, when we were kings. Wake up
> Pejman, your last name is a perfect Arabic influenced name.

Dont worry you can keep your Persian cats and Persian Rugs at least,
because everyone know most people like to buy products coming from an
EXOTIC NON-EXISTANT EMPIRE.

> (BTW: if you haven't seen the movie "When we were kings!", SEE IT ;)
I agree again a great movie, I hope they make a sequel for Gulf War II :)

> > > as the native name of German language is 'Deutsch', but we never use
> > > 'Deutsch' in place of 'German' in English; or native term of Greek
> > > Language is "Ellinika" and always in English we say 'Greek' language,
> > > not 'Ellinika' language.
>
> What a weak argument. But we do say "Hindi", "Urdu", "Tamil", "Marathi" and
> ... in both English and the native tongue itself!!! What now? One language
> name against the other!!!

To continue from that do you see Italians fighting for the right to call
themselves Romans or change their language. After all Romans were a great
empire once too. Or the scandinavians calling themselves Vikings, or the
Turks calling themselves Ottomans, or Burmese wanting to be called
Myanmar, or Srilankans wanting to be called Ceylonese and so on and on...

This debate is so stupid and source of so much anger at times that has
made us a laughing stuck to the rest of the world.
Just to give an example, here at my uni there is bunch of
us(Iranians/Persians) doing similar courses. But for first coupleof terms
some of our mutual friends thought we are two different nationalities, because half of
us call themselves, with pride of course, Persians, and the rest without
too much fanfare called ourselves Iranians. So you can imagine the
confusion when people saw us talking with the same language to each other
:)
and at the end of the day the joke was on us, for causing this confusion.

So please come and join the rest in the 21st century and stop wasting
your time and others in trivial matters.
When we can spend these times on much more constructive things.

Regards