[Kde-i18n-fa] re: some problem

Arash Zeini a.zeini at farsikde.org
Tue Sep 23 11:15:13 CEST 2003

On Monday 22 September 2003 22:49, Ali Yazdy wrote:

[...]

> I think  we should consult some linguists before going
> further if we want our work be successful. We should
> choose a path in our translation. I recommand Dr
> Bateni who have  wrote a Farsi-English dictionary for
> Agah pulication or Dr Anvary first editor of farhand e
> bozorg e Sokhan or Dr shahidi the finisher of
> loghatnaeh dehkhoda. maybe dehkhoda institute can help
> us very much. I am ready for seeking conection to
> somebody.

I welcome this suggestion very much, Ali. I met Dr. Bateni some years back
and liked his work on the corpus of Farsi very much. Maybe arranging a
meeting with them or him would be good. Please make suggestions how you
think we should go about this.

Just one note on this topic: At FarsiKDE, we do not invent words or the
language itself. We try to base our work on what is available. If what is
available is not good enough or does not fit the personal taste of
someone, there is nothing we can do about it. At FarsiKDE we can _not_ do
the job of Farhangestan and linguists at the same time while we translate.
It is _not_ our fault that Farhangestan and the HCI both have failed to
"invent"/introduce clear and specific words for our language. Just look up
the word server in the "Dictionary of computer and informatics", which has
been published by the HCI and your head should begin to spin. It gives you
15 different words for "server" and whatever we choose, there will always
be one person that would have chosen another one.
We usually choose the one that integrates/fits best into the language, into
the sentences that we have to translate and into the physical interface of
the software or the dialogue windows.

The only way out of this dilemma is to go with Ali's suggestion and consult
a linguist.

And at the end a little tale with some moral in it: Several times, we have
been invited to participate in a language fair in Europe. It is a fair all
about languages and each year one language is being hosted as the language
of the fair. Since we have done a project for Farhangestan and do other
things with languages and dictionaries and had also the confirmation that
within the next years we could make Farsi the language of the fair, we
thought we could ask Farhangestan to participate with us in that fair. It
is only natural to do so, because it is called "Farhangestan Zaban wa adab
Farsi". We could share costs and it would be a good chance to represent
ourselves. We are too small to do it on our own.
Do you know what happened? Farhangestan doesn't have a budget for these
kind of projects, we were told.
Any comments?

Greetings,
Arash