[Kde-i18n-fa] some problems

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Wed Oct 8 16:34:05 CEST 2003

On Sunday 05 October 2003 23:02, Ali Yazdi wrote:
> On Sunday 05 October 2003 14:13, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > > I don't like translating familiar English words for Farsi users to s,
> > > what do the others think of translating  binary to binary.
> >
> > binary is dodoyi. I think dodoyi is also familiar
>
> I don't want to repeated, what I've said before.

Well, you are exactly doing this, and so am I.

>but  don't translating
> familiar words make the user get use to our product more easily.

who is the user? could you explain that?
When we first started FarsiKDE, our aim was to make a desktop environment,
(mainly) for those who have not used computer before, and do not know
English. We thought that knowing English is an unneccessary barrier for using
the computer, so we should remove it.

So, the use doesn't know the meaning of binary.
We aren't making FarsiKDE for computer geeks, we are making it for average
users. Average users, unlike what you think, aren't familiar with the term
binary. (I just asked my cousin (who dones't know english) wether she knows
the maning of binary, she said no). So for them, binary is at least as
confusing as dodoyi. If not more.

Binary has been translted in nearly every english-persian dictinary that you
look at, as dodoyi. if you don't like it, then that's something else.

> Another
> thing ,we should consider that farsi kde users have two hard task in front
> of them. first get familiar with linux and new OS then get familiar with
> our translation.

No, they will become familiar with GNU/Linux and the new OS, parallel with our
desktop. For a new user, unfamiliar with these english terms, their English
is not as logical as you think.

> If Bill Gates  would want to translate windows he has less
> problems than our!!

And what does this mean?

> (I was wondering why sun have not fallen into earth by
> now)  please think a little about the poor users.

:-|

[snip]

> > > By the way what is printcap. I've not heard about it at all. Maybe this
> > > way we can find some good translation for it.
> >
> > chap kolah IS a good translaion for it. why do you think otherwise.
>
> I just don't know. what is the meaning of printcap.

used in print job quoee (sp??)

> > > At the moment I have translated override to kenar gozashtan and I know
> > > it is not a good one.
> >
> > yeah, it's a so so one. But a guess any persian english dictionary could
> > supply you with good translations for it.
>
> I've look at Hayem but I'm not sure it is a good one.

It's not. 50 year old dictionaries aren't considered to be good.

> > >but I have put
> > > the original
> > > word besides them.
> >
> > It's not acceptable. specially if the word is used in the GUI.
>
> why not?

Can't you imagin, how ugly, long, and unuseable the GUI will look like?

>it will help the user find  the meanings of some of our strange
> translations faster!!

The user doesn't know english. If he knew, he wouldn't have been using
FarsiKDE.

I repeat, FarsiKDE is for people who don't know english. Not for advanced
wingooz lusers fluent in english.

>and if he/she have forgotten the meaning of the term,
> he/she will not need to begin a search.(If these searching repeated for a
> while, he/she  "ataye farsikde ro be leghayash  khahad bakhshid"). at least
> it will be a temporary solution for transitional era.

see my note above.

--
/*  "Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a