[Kde-i18n-fa] some problems

Arash Zeini a.zeini at farsikde.org
Mon Oct 6 11:43:47 CEST 2003

On Sunday 05 October 2003 23:32, Ali Yazdi wrote:

> On Sunday 05 October 2003 14:13, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > > I don't like translating familiar English words for Farsi users to
> > > s, what do the others think of translating  binary to binary.
> >
> > binary is dodoyi. I think dodoyi is also familiar
>
> I don't want to repeated, what I've said before. but  don't translating
> familiar words make the user get use to our product more easily. Another
> thing ,we should consider that farsi kde users have two hard task in
> front of them. first get familiar with linux and new OS then get
> familiar with our translation. If Bill Gates  would want to translate
> windows he has less problems than our!! (I was wondering why sun have
> not fallen into earth by now)  please think a little about the poor
> users. this is another reason we should find a linguist as soon as
> possible. I will try to find Mr kaboli this week. and Dr Boteny  is the
> a second alternative. does anyone know who is the Mr kaboli's publisher?
> please do not name Adine, we need something alive.

Up to now the policy has been to translate everything when and where
possible. But this can not be made into a rigid rule.
For example: we don't translate 'bit' in 'bitmap': 'bit_naghsh', but if bit
is used on its own and it is not talking about KB for example we have
translated it.

> > > By the way what is printcap. I've not heard about it at all. Maybe
> > > this way we can find some good translation for it.
> >
> > chap kolah IS a good translaion for it. why do you think otherwise.
>
> I just don't know. what is the meaning of printcap.

Again context is needed, but I guess it is referring to the print head???
Can anybody clarify this?

> > > At the moment I have translated override to kenar gozashtan and I
> > > know it is not a good one.
> >
> > yeah, it's a so so one. But a guess any persian english dictionary
> > could supply you with good translations for it.
>
> I've look at Hayem but I'm not sure it is a good one.
>
> > > And for scheduler barnameh asly or marja
> >
> > scheduler means tanzim konande.
>
> I think tanzim konandeh  is a better one, What do the others think?

I am missing the time component there, my dictionary gives me
'zamaan_band', which I like more.
Please note that '_' in my persian words means a virtual space.

> > >but I have put
> > > the original
> > > word besides them.
> >
> > It's not acceptable. specially if the word is used in the GUI.
>
> why not? it will help the user find  the meanings of some of our strange
> translations faster!! and if he/she have forgotten the meaning of the
> term, he/she will not need to begin a search.(If these searching
> repeated for a while, he/she  "ataye farsikde ro be leghayash  khahad
> bakhshid"). at least it will be a temporary solution for transitional
> era.

This is not possible in the GUI. They just get huge and sometimes ugly. But
we have used this in some cases.
Please use with care.

> > > and please some suggestion for keep alive, I have translated it faal
> > > baghy mandan or zendeh gozashtan. but it seams the meaning is not
> > > correct.
> >
> > It seems fine to me. give us the sentence, to see wether the
> > translation fits or not.
>
>  for example in file cupsd.conf
>
> **<b>Keep alive (KeepAlive)</b>\n
> **<p>\n
> **Whether or not to support the Keep-Alive connection\n
> **option.  Default is on.</p>\n
> **<p>\n
>
> > > does  directive mean dastoor or not?
> >
> > rahyanamyi?
>
> Longman dictionary of contemporary English   has defined Directive to
>  "an official order or instruction: the management has issued a  new
> directive about the use of company cars".
> the problem is that there is any important difference between order and
> directive  and should we define them in our translation? Or both should
> translated to dastoor.

See my other posts. 'dastoor' seems to be fine.

Greetings,
Arash
--
The FarsiKDE Project