[Kde-i18n-fa] some problems

Arash Zeini a.zeini at farsikde.org
Sat Oct 4 11:15:53 CEST 2003

On Friday 03 October 2003 03:55, Arash Partow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >I've seen another strange word in the dictionary "bitnaghs" for bitmap.
> >sounds good, but isn't bitmap a standard name and I don't know,maybe
> >property of an organization or company. should we translate these names
> >to Farsi.
>
> bitmap as defined in IOI comps is an n-dimensional matrix-map where
> every node in the map (i.e.: block) is represented in a minimalist
> fashion using a binary state. I don't think anyone can trademark or
> patent the name, idea or concept of a bitmap. They may however patent
> and/or trademark variants, derivatives of bitmaps, which in that case I
> think we should phonetically translate whatever name they have chosen
> into Persian, other than that I don't see why we can't come up with
> original, interesting, awe-inspiring equivalents in Persian. :)
>

> Regards
>
> Arash
>
> PS: bitnaghsh sounds a "bit" odd, Does anyone know the TRUE
>       Persian translation for bit ?

I doubt there is a TRUE word for it in Farsi. Out of the 35 translations
that I found, 'dogoon' sounds like a good translation for 'bit' or 'binary
digit'.
Hence referring to my previous post the actual translation for 'bitmap'
could be something like 'dogoon_negaasht', but I think that 'bit_negaasht'
is not bad.

Greetings,
Arash
--