[Kde-i18n-fa] farsi in RedHat 9

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Sat May 3 22:01:13 CEST 2003

On Saturday 03 May 2003 19:30, Hamid wrote:
> By the way, why all you guys are a great fan of RedHat ;)
> Is it because they have the largest share of the Linux market or they
> really have problem.
> I have not tried any other distribution, but as far as easy setup and
> variety of applications is concerned, I did not find any drawbacks.
>
> If you would suggest something rather than RedHat , what would it be
> ?
I don't care weather they are big or not. Infact they are only number
one in US, in Europe SuSE is No 1, in Latin America Connectiva is No 1,
and in Asia (southeast at least) Turbo Linux is No.1 and in hacker's
culture, they are not in the top 6 or 7. All these sayings that RedHat
is the biggest one is just myth. From the financial point of view they
are strong, (Because for example Gentoo and Debian do not care about
finance). But many admins and developers prefer non RedHat distros.

Yes, there are many things wrong with RedHat, I will list a few of them
here:

1) RedHat patents it's software. They have used this method before
(Regarding Ingo Molnar's work on kernel). Patents are heavily disliked
in the GNU/Linux world.

2) Their distro by default runs too many services in the boot sequence.
Like M$ they assume the the user is dumb, and therefore they start all
the services by default, so that they make it *user friendly*. Sorry
but I am not dumb. Services make the boot sequence take longer, and
they are also a security risk. Why does RedHat for example always start
CUPS even though I have no printer? Not mentioning that CUPS is a great
security treat.

3) They enable all kernel modules. Again, following the *user is dumb*
policy they enable all the kernel modules by default. That means
RedHat's kernel support things that are never going to be used in the
system. This makes the kernel bigger and slower.

4) They are slow with security upgrades. When applications announce
security patches, it usually takes RedHat two months to incorporate
these patches back into their distro. For Debian, it takes about 48
hours. Sorry, but many can't run a system with known vulnerabilities.

5) RPM : They invented this bloat, and they seem never like getting rid
of it. If you use a RedHat box for a long time, you will know what a
pain it will be to install new applications. Each application depends
on something else, with the dependency it self depends on something
else. And you have to search in all this RPM repositories scattered
over the net, just to find these dependencies. The solution, Debian
found the solution years ago with apt, Connectiva ported apt to their
RPM based distro and (partly) solved the problem. Gentoo solved the
problem from another route (From FreeBSD's method). While RedHat seems
to like screwing it's users.

6) Recognition, Their software is just a distro right? They use software
made by other people, they use these software, and they make money with
other people's software. Nothing is wrong until here, but they at least
don't give the original writers recognition and credit. They changed
the famous Linux Kernel logo (tux), they changed KDE logo, they removed
about KDE menu from all KDE applications and so on. As Hans Reiser
(God) puts it, they just want show off their own brand name. Never care
other people.

7) Problems with KDE. It was no secret that RedHat doesn't like KDE, but
from RedHat 8, they really pissed off, and made it ... Ooops, a bloat.
They changed KDE so much to make it like Gnome, and in the process the
removed many KDE's features, they broke KDE, RedHat's KDE has got bugs
which KDE itself doesn't have and so on. While according to surveys,
KDE is the most popular window manager. So KDE lovers (you are in a KDE
mailing list remember?) don't like RedHat, for breaking their software.

9) Their system is not stable. RedHat 9 comes with a 2.4.21 kernel,
while 2.4.21 hasn't been released yet. Which simply means that they are
using a beta kernel. Not to mention all the features they added from
unstable 2.5 to 2.4. Everybody still remembers how they screwed things
in 7.0 with using a beta glibc. Unfortunately many people still say
that 6.2 was their last good release, to date.

10) and lots of other weird activities, like getting money from the
Chinese government to remove the Tiwane flag from their distro. While
all other distros refused to do this, and apple and even M$ refused to
do so. Chishhhhhhhhhh...

What is the choice? old time GNU/Linux users prefer Slackware, many
(like me and Arash Zeini) prefer Debian, and Gentoo has also made so
much inroads recently. If you only use x86, then Libranet gives you a
Debian with the ease of use and hardware detection. And you also
mentioned something about choice of applications, remember that
GNU/Linux is not Unix, every single application which runs on RedHat
also runs on all other GNU/Linuxes (and vice versa). And talking about
the number of available binaries, nothing perhaps beats 8000 binaries
which come with Debian Woody.

But in the end, the choice of distro is a personal one. People often
argue and flame each other for their choice (like what I am doing) but
the perfect thing about GNU/Linux is that it gives choice for nearly
everything. If you don't like any available GNU/Linux, then build your
own one (LFS).

Cheers

--
/* The best part about banging your