[Kde-i18n-fa] groupware, spam, ham and bug

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Mon Dec 22 23:58:36 CET 2003

On Sunday 21 December 2003 00:41, Shahram Emadi wrote:
> First, I need to thank all the people who sent me an
> email.  I am overwhelmed.  Thanks.  Also, I will be
> more careful about subject matter of the discussion
> thread ;-).
>
> But for finding rigth translations, I think it can not
> be done in the way of "Farsi Ra Pass Bedarim", and
> call a helicopter a BALGARD.
>
> What is Spam? It is low quality pork meat.  The word
> became famous because of a movie song (Monty Python
> Flying Circuse). There it meant too much and too
> anoying. Now days it means net abuse. Now, for Farsi
> we do not have these concepts or even the needed
> concepts to build on top.  Spam is an evolved entity,
> with a very uniq place of its own.
>
> I think, for many of the English word we have no way
> but to leave them at that.  As another example, think
> about the word "Okay" which is used almost by anybody
> with a more than six years of education.  Why, cause
> we do not have the equivalent concept in Farsi.  The
> concept itself has migrated through the use of this
> word and now it is localized.
>
> So, my suggestion is to write most English words in
> Farsi Alphabet, and keep the UI consistant, so the
> user does not need to read in a mixed mode of LTR and
> RTL.

First of all, how many times should we go over this?

Everyone new to the list: Yeah you are welcome to sugegst and improve,
but please read the archives, and see what we have been talking before
you start making your suggestions.

I saw spam translated in BBC Persian as Harz Nameh هرز نامه

i like it very much.

> I think even French or Germans are not capable to find
> a word for spam.

Yesh, they have done. Arash can speak for german, but I was reading an
article in TIMES the other day, about the disagreement between French
linquist and Quebec linquists over the tarsnaltion of spam. Apparently
now in Quebec and France they use a different tarsnlation for spam.

And I am all for Farsi ra Pasdarim.

Helicopter == Balgard.

I was reading this book Written by Abdollah Mostofi, called "A
description of my life" شرح زندگانی من and in it, the author says that
many people have critisized him for his use of words approved by the
persian comitee of ressurecting the Farsi language. He for example
noted that many people complained about his use of word
"padegan" پادگان and says that everyone uses sakhlo ساخلو instead of
padegan.

That book, was written in the beginning of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi era,
and after Reza Shah era. Those familiar with history know that Reza
Shah also did a similar job to the one the current Farhangestan is
doing, they made Farsi equivalence of Non-Farsi words used in those
days. Apparently, tough they also faced the same resistance that
currently we see, eventualy they prevailed. How many of you guys use
sakhlo instead of Padegan?

We have been over this a hundered times. I just want to make it clear
that it's really nice to read our archive first, before putting yor
$0.02 in.

> Now, we can discuss many such words, but I think if
> you know the word bug, you are more prepared in your
> life for using a debugger.  And if you know spam, you
> have a better chance to research its meaning.
>
> Of course it would be nice to have clear explantions
> added.
>
> --e-mad-i
>
> --- Platoali <platoali at gawab.com> wrote:
> > I'm sending this again. Kmail is almost finished
> > except some words including
> > these. please help.
> >
> > is bug moshkel?I think we should have other word for
> > it.
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > After two or tree weeks I'm starting to translate
> > again.
> >
> > any suggestion for groupware , spam and ham?
> >
> > thanks
> > platoali

/*  Trademarks, Copyrights, Patents, etc are all loans from the public
domain. They are not a property ('intellectual' or otherwise.) */