KDE in Silesian (szl)

Grzegorz gregorykkulik at gmail.com
Wed May 22 09:54:32 BST 2024

We wto, 21.05.2024 ô godzinie 00∶32 +0200, Albert Astals Cid pisze:
> El divendres, 17 de maig del 2024, a les 20:37:46 (CEST), Grzegorz
> Kulik va escriure:
> > Dear all,
>
> Hello and Welcome to KDE :)

Thank you!

> > I would like to start the effort to translate KDE to Silesian (ISO
> > code: szl). I'm quite sure no one is working on it right now,
> > otherwise
> > I would know it.
> >
> > I'm the coordinator of the Silesian teams translating Ubuntu and
> > LibreOffice and chair of the Silesian Language Council if that
> > matters.
>
> The first thing we ask people that want to create a new team is to
> translate kcoreaddons, kio and kxmlgui as close to 100% as possible
> and send
> them to me in private (no need to bother the rest of the people in
> the mailing
> list with those files).
>
> https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kf5/templates/messages/kcoreaddons/
> https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kf5/templates/messages/kxmlgui/
> https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kf5/templates/messages/kio/
>
> So your first task to become your own "1 person translator team to
> Silesian"
> would be to get those files as close to 100% as possible and send
> them to me.
>
> Do you need help with how the translation workflow works?

No, thank you, for now I'll stick to the translation of those three
files and in the future if I can't find anything in the documentation,
I'll ask. :) Thank you for the information. I'll send the files to you
as soon as they are ready.

> > I was wondering if anyone could help me with one small thing. In
> > the
> > documentation I can't find any information about how to bring
> > Silesian
> > language data to KDE from CLDR, so that things like month names,
> > plurals etc. work correctly. Right now, while testing my
> > translation on
> > Plasma, I get eg. "M05" instead of "Mŏj" in the calendar. What has
> > be done here?
>
> Can you be a bit more specific on which versions and where you have
> this issue?
>
> Can I guess you're using Plasma 5?
>
> On Qt6/Plasma6 it seems to work for me
>
> "wtorek, 21 moja 2024 00:30:26 GMT+2"
>
> Best Regards,
>   Albert

Oh wow, you're right! I just checked it as well on a live session on
KDE Neon. I'm on Kubuntu 24.04 and Plasma 5.27 and I did not know
Plasma 6 had Silesian data so it seems I'm going to do a small distro
hop in the coming days. Well, we can forget about the issue then.
Thanks for the tip!

Best
Greg