String freeze for GCompris 3.2

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 17:33:00 GMT 2023

Le dim. 19 mars 2023 à 21:52, Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl at huftis.org> a
écrit :

> Johnny Jazeix skreiv 19.03.2023 10:59:
> > Usually, we write in the announcement news which languages are
> > translated (splitting between fully and partially translated) so we
> > usually wait until the release to make it.
> >
> > Maybe, it's not important to have the percentage for each language and
> > we could only have the list of all the supported languages so we can
> > write it in advance (assuming no new language will be added between
> > the freeze and the release, but it has already happened) or we can
> > have a partial news for translation (without the languages status and
> > this could be added once we know)?
>
> Yes, it’s (much) better for us translators to have have access to the
> new announcement strings in advance. It takes time to translate the
> strings, and not all translators are available for translation work at
> (or shortly after) the release date.
>

> --
> Karl Ove Hufthammer

I totally understand and agree with you. We've discussed with Timothée and
we probably found a solution but we are too short on time to implement it
in this release so it will be for the next one.

Cheers,
Johnny

ps: the idea is to write: tr("this version is fully translated in %d
languages").arg(count), and display a list of all the fully translated
languages in their native writing (so like in
https://invent.kde.org/education/gcompris/-/blob/master/src/core/LanguageList.qml#L35).
Same for the partially translated and the only string to translate would be
"%s (%d%)" with a translator comment: "the first string corresponds to the
language written in its native language and the %d% is the percentage of
this locale translated".
So this way, we can have a generic list and the percentages would be filled
in the code part and if a language status changes, it should be transparent
on the translation side.