svn up might break translations

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzer at kde.org
Mon May 23 21:24:24 BST 2022

On Saturday, May 21, 2022 10:48:56 AM CEST Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
> ??????, 21 ?????? 2022 ?. 11:41:15 EEST Freek de Kruijf ????????:
> > Op zaterdag 21 mei 2022 10:08:01 CEST schreef Antoni Bella PĂ©rez:
> > >   Hi Frederik,
> > >   I prefer make svn up before copy new translations and go on...
> > >   Possible> >
> > > cross translations? See the local diff. Toni
> > >
> > > Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
> > >
> > >   On dv., de maig 20, 2022 at 23:57, Frederik
> > >   Schwarzer<schwarzer at kde.org>> >
> > > wrote:   Hi,
> > >
> > > we currently have a problem with our workflow.
> > >
> > > For some time now Lokalize formats even short strings as:
> > >
> > > msgstr ""
> > > "Foo"
> > >

> > > Our server-side scripts then update the files to make them look
> > > like:
> > >
> > > msgstr "Foo"
> > >

> > > If now the translator wants to commit the changes a few days
> > > later,
> > > svn complains that we need to run "svn up" first.
> > >
> > > SVN performs a merge then and creates messages like:
> > >
> > > msgstr "Foo"
> > > "Foo"
> > >
> > > ... resulting in strings like "FooFoo" in the GUI.
> > >

> > > Has enyone else seen this?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Frederik
> >
> > In my workflow, before doing any work on translations, I do an
> > "svn up". After finishing translating on that day, I do a commit
> > before midnight.
> >
> > When I get new versions of .po files from other translators, I
> > also first do an "svn up", put the received .po file in its
> > location, replacing the newest one from the svn server.
> >
> > I also have the .pot files available, also renewed with "svn up"
> > and I do a merge of the .pot file with the new .po file, which is
> > what happens on the svn server during the night. So it is not
> > really necessary, but after the merge I can check whether new
> > elements need some work. Again a commit before midnight.
>
> Hi,
>
> Regretfully, I think this is inevitable. You can fall under the
> scripty train if your timing is wrong. I was there many times. ;)
>
> The only way is to change your schedule or resolve the conflict
> manually from the command line (not using kdesvn).

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, I had that as well in the past but I feel it has become way more
common now. Or rather, it was more likely to end up with a broken file
or a merge conflict earlier and now due to the way Lokalize formats
files here (might it be a setting?) the merge does not break the file
anymore but just breaks the translation without having merge conflicts.

But yeah, maybe it is better to just not use "svn up" when you have
changed files. Rather copy your files away, reset the working copy, so
the "svn up" and then use Lokalize to merge the changed back in.

Cheers
Frederik