svn up might break translations

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sat May 21 09:48:56 BST 2022

субота, 21 травня 2022 р. 11:41:15 EEST Freek de Kruijf написано:
> Op zaterdag 21 mei 2022 10:08:01 CEST schreef Antoni Bella Pérez:
> >   Hi Frederik,
> >   I prefer make svn up before copy new translations and go on... Possible
> >
> > cross translations? See the local diff. Toni
> >
> > Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
> >
> >   On dv., de maig 20, 2022 at 23:57, Frederik Schwarzer<schwarzer at kde.org>
> >
> > wrote:   Hi,
> >
> > we currently have a problem with our workflow.
> >
> > For some time now Lokalize formats even short strings as:
> >
> > msgstr ""
> > "Foo"
> >

> > Our server-side scripts then update the files to make them look like:
> >
> > msgstr "Foo"
> >

> > If now the translator wants to commit the changes a few days later,
> > svn complains that we need to run "svn up" first.
> >
> > SVN performs a merge then and creates messages like:
> >
> > msgstr "Foo"
> > "Foo"
> >
> > ... resulting in strings like "FooFoo" in the GUI.
> >

> > Has enyone else seen this?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Frederik
>
> In my workflow, before doing any work on translations, I do an "svn up".
> After finishing translating on that day, I do a commit before midnight.
>
> When I get new versions of .po files from other translators, I also first do
> an "svn up", put the received .po file in its location, replacing the
> newest one from the svn server.
>
> I also have the .pot files available, also renewed with "svn up" and I do a
> merge of the .pot file with the new .po file, which is what happens on the
> svn server during the night. So it is not really necessary, but after the
> merge I can check whether new elements need some work. Again a commit
> before midnight.

Hi,

Regretfully, I think this is inevitable. You can fall under the scripty train
if your timing is wrong. I was there many times. ;)

The only way is to change your schedule or resolve the conflict manually from
the command line (not using kdesvn).

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,
Yuri