KDE applications > About <App> dialog - Do not translate names of humans

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sat May 21 19:23:07 BST 2022

субота, 21 травня 2022 р. 21:07:53 EEST Marius P написано:
> Hello,
>
> I want that the KDE Project approves the following political decision:
>
> "The About dialog of applications will no longer have
> translated/transliterated human names. I.e. the names of maintainers,
> contributors, etc."
>
> 1. Maybe it is just me. But I am OK if you write my name correctly.
> I am OK if you write my name without diacritics, i.e. using only the
> English US alphabet.
> But I would not want to have my name transliterated to a Cyrillic/Ethiopian
> (Geʽez)/whatever alphabet/spelling/script.
>
> 2. Some names are translated, some not. E.g. kcalc.po be_cyr:
>
> #: kcalc.cpp:2856
> #, kde-format
> msgid "Charles Samuels"
> msgstr "Чарльз Самуэльс"
>
> #: kcalc.cpp:2858
> #, kde-format
> msgid "René Mérou"
> msgstr ""
>
> 3. Some names are transliterated incorrectly. E.g. kcalc.po be_cyr:
>
> #: kcalc.cpp:2851
> #, kde-format
> msgid "Bernd Johannes Wuebben"
> msgstr "Бернд Джонс Уэбэн" <- This means "Bernd Dzhons Ve'be'n". "Dzhons"
> is the transliteration e.g. for "Jones" as in "Indiana Jones".
>
> 4. Are there any other translations of kcalc except for Cyrillic script
> languages, that have human names translated/transliterated?
>
> 5. The human names in kcalc constitute a large part of the strings that
> need to be translated.
>
> 6. From what I see, GNOME projects do not translate human names in the
> About dialog.
> E.g. EmmanueleB votes "No, they should not; Names are names; People decide
> how they should be called; I'm a GNOME maintainer, so I don't make policy,
> to the extent that such a policy could exist.".
>
> 7. This will not create new strings to translate, for the strings which
> consist only of one human name.
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

No objections from Ukrainian team for European names. It is an old tradition
here (e.g. cf. Stefan Banach's "A Course in Functional Analysis" in Ukrainian
written by the author, 1948) to leave all names untranslated even when the
rest of the book is written in Cyrillic.

Unfortunately, some of the files in the current translation do violate this
rule, but I can fix it.

Best regards,
Yuri