KDE applications > About <App> dialog - Do not translate names of humans

Shinjo Park kde at peremen.name
Sat May 21 20:50:39 BST 2022

Hi,

No objection from my side except for Korean names. I want them to be
transliterated in any other locale, but displayed in Hangul in Korean locale.

I personally do not transliterate any personal names to Hangul as I have to
grasp a correct pronounciation of personal names beforehand. Judging from my
personal experience, transliteration of other east Asian names (Chinese,
Japanese) triggers more attention among Korean speakers and causes more
headaches than other part of the world, so I would not transliterate them
either.

> 2. Some names are translated, some not. E.g. kcalc.po be_cyr:
>
> 3. Some names are transliterated incorrectly. E.g. kcalc.po be_cyr:

l10n.kde.org provides "Compare Translations" functionality where you can
compare translation of a string into different languages. For example of this
string:

> #: kcalc.cpp:2856
> #, kde-format
> msgid "Charles Samuels"
> msgstr "Чарльз Самуэльс"

By visiting https://l10n.kde.org/dictionary/compare-translations.php?
package=kcalc&filename=kcalc.po&compare=Charles+Samuels you can see that except
for Belarusian/Serbian, languages using Indic scripts are transliterating the
name.

> 4. Are there any other translations of kcalc except for Cyrillic script
> languages, that have human names translated/transliterated?

See the above link for other languages.

> 5. The human names in kcalc constitute a large part of the strings that
> need to be translated.

I don't think 11 out of 349 strings as a large part.

Shinjo

2022년 5월 21일 토요일 오후 8시 7분 53초 CEST에 Marius P 님이 쓴 글: