svn up might break translations

Freek de Kruijf freekdekruijf at kde.nl
Sat May 21 09:41:15 BST 2022

Op zaterdag 21 mei 2022 10:08:01 CEST schreef Antoni Bella Pérez:
>   Hi Frederik,
>   I prefer make svn up before copy new translations and go on... Possible
> cross translations? See the local diff. Toni
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
>   On dv., de maig 20, 2022 at 23:57, Frederik Schwarzer<schwarzer at kde.org>
> wrote:   Hi,
>
> we currently have a problem with our workflow.
>
> For some time now Lokalize formats even short strings as:
>
> msgstr ""
> "Foo"
>

> Our server-side scripts then update the files to make them look like:
>
> msgstr "Foo"
>

> If now the translator wants to commit the changes a few days later,
> svn complains that we need to run "svn up" first.
>
> SVN performs a merge then and creates messages like:
>
> msgstr "Foo"
> "Foo"
>
> ... resulting in strings like "FooFoo" in the GUI.
>

> Has enyone else seen this?
>
> Cheers,
> Frederik

In my workflow, before doing any work on translations, I do an "svn up". After
finishing translating on that day, I do a commit before midnight.

When I get new versions of .po files from other translators, I also first do
an "svn up", put the received .po file in its location, replacing the newest
one from the svn server.

I also have the .pot files available, also renewed with "svn up" and I do a
merge of the .pot file with the new .po file, which is what happens on the svn
server during the night. So it is not really necessary, but after the merge I
can check whether new elements need some work. Again a commit before midnight.

--

vr.gr.

Freek de Kruijf
vertaler/coördinator van KDE