Review process for translations

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzer at kde.org
Thu Apr 28 21:46:48 BST 2022

On Sunday, April 24, 2022 11:32:32 AM CEST Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> Thiago Masato Costa Sueto skreiv 24.04.2022 08:50:
> > Back when Phabricator used to show SVN commits (and in a very neat
> > fashion in fact), after I got commit access, I'd usually mention
> > my
> > commits in the group so the other more experienced translators
> > would check if there were any issues in my translations, it
> > rendered some very nice feedback.
>
> If we moved the translations from SVN to Git, we would get a similar
> functionality. With invent.kde.org, one can add and review ?merge
> requests? (i.e., translation updates). It?s also possible to add
> comments (on individual lines) in completed commits.

Hi Karl,

thanks for your extensive explanations abour your worflow.

Yes, invent.kde.org is what I would like to try. The problem I see
there is the merge to master itself when the master file was changed by
Scripty durcing the review. I suspect breakage to happen there.

However, currently I have a personal Git repo on invent with the
summit PO files of our team. That repo needs to be updated manually so
I could make sure all merge requests are merged before doing any
syncing between the SVN and the Git versions of the files.

What is holding me back a bit is this syncing step being manual. If I
do not have time to handle it for weeks, our files become outdated.
Also I would need to document the process and write good scripts for
it so other people could jump in without reinventing the wheel in case
I cannot do the work anymore.

So currently I am weighing between simplifying the process back to
plain mailing list or introducing quite some extra complexity in order
to have a review process in place.

Oh and another thing. You seem to be using Pology quite a bit. (You
are even the last person to communicate on the mailing list. ;)) ... I
am a bit concerned about switching over to a more Pology-driven
workflow since it seem a bit unmaintained. It's still written in Python
2, the website contains dead links etc. ... Do you know of any
activity in these regards?

Cheers,
Frederik