Traduction/Translation GCompris en/in Occitan gascon

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Sep 15 22:48:53 BST 2021

El dilluns, 13 de setembre de 2021, a les 23:29:42 (CEST), Johnny Jazeix va escriure:
> albeHi,
>
> Welcome!
> You can use Lokalize (or PoEdit) to easily translate the po files. I
> replied to you earlier from the GCompris support email to know which files
> to translate.
> In addition, to be supported by KDE translation system, one other file,
> unrelated to GCompris, needs to be translated: kcoreaddons5_qt.po
> <https://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/l10n-kf5/templates/messages/kcoreaddons/kcoreaddons5_qt.pot?revision=1608236&content-type=text%2Fplain>
> (less than 100 strings).
>
> @kde-i18n-doc team: there is a potential issue with Occitan to be handled:
> there are several dialects for it:  Languedocien
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languedocien_dialect>, Gascon
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gascon_language>... (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occitan_language) but they all share the same
> ISO code (oc).
> They have different IETF <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IETF_language_tag>.
> Is there a way to differentiate them in KDE? Maybe like for Catalan and
> Valencian?

Are we really in that situation with enough human-power to maintain more than one Occitan translation?

Seems weird to me wanting to have N "variants" when the stats are "not good"

https://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kf5/team/oc/

Besides that, could we actually have different variants?

Probably, it's all a combination of if glibc supports them, if Qt supports them (which is already a problem for Valencian), etc.

If someone wanted to explore it i wouldn't be super against it given how relatively different the texts in the table of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occitan_language#Writing_system look like.

That article also mentions "Standard Occitan" but then agrees it's not very widely accepted :/