Translation How-To renewal

Raghavendra Kamath raghu at raghukamath.com
Fri Jun 25 16:36:16 BST 2021

Hi Yuri,

Thank you for initiating this thread.
The example posts by rabbiticTranslator blog are awesome.
We can borrow some of the steps and descriptions if that is permitted.

I would suggest keeping the outline of the document simple and focusing
on getting the newcomer started easily. We can always link to advanced
tutorials at the end of simple tutorials.

For the basics here are some steps we could have -

1. Introduction and welcome page.

2. How translations works in KDE. (getting the pot file and sending the
po file to the team leader or contact ) I can help in creating a flow
chart for this section.

3. Contacting the team and choosing the first applications for
translation.

4. Getting the sources from svn (with brief introduction to svn)

5. Setting up Lokalize step by step. (with links to further reading for
other programs)

6. Checking the files for error and sending the files for review.

7. Some contact information about IRC and other chatroom for help in
setting things up.

I know these are most basic steps, I am merely suggesting these as a
start for discussion. May be we can set up a common online editable
document and write the contents of each page in it directly.

I believe that giving a step by step or small guide using which the new
contributor will at least get the source files and  have lokalize set up
easily would be helpful.

You can also ping me on IRC (raghukamath) or matrix
(@raghukamath:kde.org) for more discussion.

Thank you.

--
Raghavendra Kamath