L10n of frameworks announcements on kde.org

Carl Schwan carl at carlschwan.eu
Sun Feb 21 19:59:41 GMT 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
Le dimanche, février 21, 2021 4:58 PM, Phu Hung Nguyen <phuhnguyen at disroot.org> a écrit :

> Hi everyone,
>
> Currently, changelogs of other types of announcement on kde.org are not
> translated, only announcement pages are. For Frameworks announcements,
> it is a bit different since the changelogs are not separated from the
> announcement page but are the main part of it, and the whole
> announcement page including the changelogs is translatable. However the
> changelogs are mostly technical changes and they are usually very long.
> In my opinion, the localization work's main target is normal users, not
> technical users, thus the localization of Frameworks changelogs, which
> perhaps requires a lot of effort from translators, doesn't seem to have
> much impact.
>
> Anyway I can still see these changelogs are translated to some
> languages. So I would like to ask for your opinions about whether these
> changelogs for Frameworks announcements need to be translated.
>
> My view on this is that we need not and should not make these changelogs
> translatable. People including myself might prefer to read in their
> native language(s), but I think (guess) the number of people reading
> these changelogs in languages other than English is just not worth the
> effort. There can also be the problem of mistranslation which I think is
> more relevant in this case because we have a lot of libraries and
> translators might sometimes need to understand many of them to translate
> correctly. Translators can decide to do the translation for these
> changelogs or not, but excluding these changelogs will save us a lot of
> message processing work: of about 13.1k messages in
> websites-kde-org/www_www.pot, more than 10.1k are from these changelogs.
> And lastly, I can put up the question: if we translate these changelogs,
> why don't we do with other changelogs as well?

I agree that translating the frameworks announcements is probably not really
worth it. The framework announcements are getting almost no traffic and
the translated version even less. But I don't think we should remove the
already translated pages. Maybe we could move the already existing translation
to a new po file and tell translators that they shouldn't translate them
unless they have too much free time :p

If people are interested, I can make more content in kde.org translatable
and also look into making develop.kde.org translatable. This shouldn't
be to time-consuming for me and is content probably more interesting to
visitors of our websites.

On another note, the traffic of our translated websites represents 10% of
the web traffic for apps.kde.org and kde.org. This is slowly growing in
absolute and relative numbers. It's quite nice to see that this makes it
possible to reach more people.

Regards,
Carl