L10n of frameworks announcements on kde.org

Josep Ma. Ferrer txemaq at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 18:43:34 GMT 2021

El 21/2/21 a les 16:58, Phu Hung Nguyen ha escrit:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Currently, changelogs of other types of announcement on kde.org are
> not translated, only announcement pages are. For Frameworks
> announcements, it is a bit different since the changelogs are not
> separated from the announcement page but are the main part of it, and
> the whole announcement page including the changelogs is translatable.
> However the changelogs are mostly technical changes and they are
> usually very long. In my opinion, the localization work's main target
> is normal users, not technical users, thus the localization of
> Frameworks changelogs, which perhaps requires a lot of effort from
> translators, doesn't seem to have much impact.
>
> Anyway I can still see these changelogs are translated to some
> languages. So I would like to ask for your opinions about whether
> these changelogs for Frameworks announcements need to be translated.
>
> My view on this is that we need not and should not make these
> changelogs translatable. People including myself might prefer to read
> in their native language(s), but I think (guess) the number of people
> reading these changelogs in languages other than English is just not
> worth the effort. There can also be the problem of mistranslation
> which I think is more relevant in this case because we have a lot of
> libraries and translators might sometimes need to understand many of
> them to translate correctly. Translators can decide to do the
> translation for these changelogs or not, but excluding these
> changelogs will save us a lot of message processing work: of about
> 13.1k messages in websites-kde-org/www_www.pot, more than 10.1k are
> from these changelogs. And lastly, I can put up the question: if we
> translate these changelogs, why don't we do with other changelogs as
> well?
>
> Thank you in advance for your opinions and your time.
>
> Regards,
> Phu

Changelogs are technical information for technicians, but not useful for
users. On the other side, most of Frameworks log messages uses technical
argot or keywords that are very difficult to translate. Just one
example, the following message (extracted from Frameworks 5.79.0):

"KDEFrameworksCompilerSettings: define -DQT_NO_KEYWORDS and
-DQT_NO_FOREACH by default"

it only makes sense to translate "define", "and" and "by default". And
the same for most of the log messages.

So, in my opinion, translation of changelogs is a waste of time and
resources, with low value-added (if exist). This is what comes to my
mind every time I translate the Frameworks changelog :)

Thanks,

Josep Ma. Ferrer