L10n of frameworks announcements on kde.org

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sun Feb 21 16:42:20 GMT 2021

неділя, 21 лютого 2021 р. 17:58:22 EET Phu Hung Nguyen написано:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Currently, changelogs of other types of announcement on kde.org are not
> translated, only announcement pages are. For Frameworks announcements,
> it is a bit different since the changelogs are not separated from the
> announcement page but are the main part of it, and the whole
> announcement page including the changelogs is translatable. However the
> changelogs are mostly technical changes and they are usually very long.
> In my opinion, the localization work's main target is normal users, not
> technical users, thus the localization of Frameworks changelogs, which
> perhaps requires a lot of effort from translators, doesn't seem to have
> much impact.
>
> Anyway I can still see these changelogs are translated to some
> languages. So I would like to ask for your opinions about whether these
> changelogs for Frameworks announcements need to be translated.
>
> My view on this is that we need not and should not make these changelogs
> translatable. People including myself might prefer to read in their
> native language(s), but I think (guess) the number of people reading
> these changelogs in languages other than English is just not worth the
> effort. There can also be the problem of mistranslation which I think is
> more relevant in this case because we have a lot of libraries and
> translators might sometimes need to understand many of them to translate
> correctly. Translators can decide to do the translation for these
> changelogs or not, but excluding these changelogs will save us a lot of
> message processing work: of about 13.1k messages in
> websites-kde-org/www_www.pot, more than 10.1k are from these changelogs.
> And lastly, I can put up the question: if we translate these changelogs,
> why don't we do with other changelogs as well?
>
> Thank you in advance for your opinions and your time.
>
> Regards,
> Phu

Hi,

1. Those thought can be applied to any software or documentation translation
that is long enough. This situation reminds me the old fables

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes

Personally, I think that KDE is all about possibilities. You can do many
things, change them, configure them, translate them just because it's KDE. And
you are free just leave it as is (it is also good enough).

2. Every Framework announcement contains at least one typo. We can fix them
while translating. Sometimes I think that translators are the only people who
read them to a letter and try to understand what was done. ;)

3. However, if these translations can overload our servers and diminish the
possibilities to translate other important things please switch them off.

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,
Yuri