Akademy meeting notes

Yaron Shahrabani sh.yaron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 20:47:52 BST 2020

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020, 13:43 Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:

> Yaron Shahrabani ha scritto:
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2020, 14:43 Josep Ma. Ferrer <txemaq at gmail.com
> > <mailto:txemaq at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hello!
> >
> >     El 13/9/20 a les 14:48, Yaron Shahrabani ha escrit:
> >
> >     Please, keep in mind that there are some useful tools (e.g. Pology)
> that
> >     work in a directory structure but not in an online translation
> solution.
> >

> > What about collaboration? Suggestions? Screenshots for context?
> > Using offline tools makes the translators a bunch of individuals doing
> some
> > work, an open source web interface can lead to a true collaborative work
> in
> > many aspects.
> > For example, you can ask a question about what a certain string means
> and you
> > can get an answer from a translator of another team or even ask to add a
> > screenshot if possible.
> >
> > It's a different approach, not all TM tools are created equal and I
> understand
> > that some of you experienced some of these tools but I assure you that
> Weblate
> > is far different than Zanata or Launchpad, it truly works for the
> translator
> > and has tight git integration (configurable), the overhead is decreased
> > dramatically, just give it a try.
>
> We will have to agree to disagree here. There are people in this discussion
> who repeateadly said they did try even weblate, but prefer offline work.
>
> So it's not an option: weblate support will be opt-in.

Where did I say it should be mandatory?

It can be on opt-in basis, it can also be used if half the team is using it
and the other doesn't, so it can be an opt-in option for individuals inside
the team.

> About the collaboration, just to give an example: incorrect or unclear
> strings
> (because the miss a context or are incorrect) should be discussed elsewhere
> (in the mailing list or task tracker or bug tracker of the program, or
> here).

It doesn't appear near the string when you translate it so it's not an
integral part of the process, same goes for screenshots, and it doesn't
obsolete Phabricator, most of the time I find myself consulting other
translator if something is unclear and if we reach an agreement that it
should be fixed one of us opens a PR in GitHub for example, there's a link
to the string source in the CVS so it's relatively easy to suggest a fix if
needed (and configured correctly).

You are free to work as you like, it shouldn't bother anyone but it's not
the most convenient way for everyone and we should offer an alternative.