Strings in kcontrol

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzerf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 22:31:57 CET 2006

On Mittwoch, 27. Dezember 2006 22:07, Thomas Reitelbach wrote:

> Ich hatte es auf "Benachrichtigung für Dateiänderungen auf entfernten
> Rechnern" geändert. Das kann ich ja noch zu "Fremdrechnern" ändern.
> Das eigentliche Problem ist aber, dass das englische Original schon sehr
> unverständlich ist. Hast Du eine Ahnung, was genau das Original bedeuten
> soll? Ich kann mir nämlich nicht allzuviel darunter vorstellen.

Ich hatte mich in dem Punkt bei Eike und thiago schlaugefragt. Soweit ich dem
folgen konnte, überwachen diese Dienste Dateiänderungen, um es z. B. Kate zu
ermöglichen, den Benutzer zu warnen, falls eine Datei von einem anderen
Programm geändert wurde.
Was die Unterteilung in HOME und SYSTEM soll, verstehe ich aber nicht ganz.
Bzw. was passiert, wenn ich eine Datei in /daten/ ändere... Oder ist "/" der
Systemordner?

Egal, ich blicke das noch nciht ganz. Hier gib't das Chatlog. Vielleicht kann
sich da noch jemand etwas rausziehen.

MfG

===
<icwiener> Can someone please try to explain me in other words, what "KDED
Home Base URL Notifier", respective "Remote Base" and "System Base" mean?
(It's in the "Service Manager" in kcontrol)
<Sho_>     icwiener: kdebase/kioslave/system/kdedmodule and
kdebase/kioslave/home/kdedmodule
<icwiener> Sho_: And what does the service notify about?
<Sho_>     icwiener: Presumably that files have been added or removed to the
directory structures covered by home:/ and system:/; for more I'd actually
have to read the code I just pointed to
<icwiener> Sho_: I ask because the german translation of those services is ...
well... not good. And without a service description it's hard to translate
properly.
<Sho_>     icwiener: I suggest writing to ervin at kde.org who wrote/commited
those ioslaves/files asking for a more proper name and a description
<thiago>   no need
<thiago>   those are internal services that work on the KDirNotify mechanism
<thiago>   they report changes in the system:/, home:/, media:/ and remote:/
filesystems
<icwiener> Where do they report that to?
<thiago>   to the whole system
<thiago>   do you know what KDirNotify is and how it works?
<Sho_>     Unfortunately it's too late to add new strings to 3.5.6 now
<icwiener> thiago: No. I do not know what KDirNotify does. But I have a little
Idea. Does Konqeror use it to make the font blue on the tabs?
<thiago>   no
<icwiener> Well, then I don't. ;)
<thiago>   all KDE apps use KDirNotify to find out if a file is changed, added
or removed
<icwiener> I see.
<Sho_>     icwiener: It's essentially a convenience wrapper class around
inotify/dnotify/fam
<thiago>   KDirNotify existed before all of those
<thiago>   in fact, I can probably say those exist because KDirNotify existed
<Sho_>     Well, FAM was written in '89
<Sho_>     For IRIX, that is ... I guess the Linux version dates to around '95
<icwiener> What if those services are not running, but the user activated the
notify about external changes in kate?
<thiago>   icwiener: they are automatically loaded
<icwiener> thiago: even if one deselect it?
<Sho_>     thiago: The strange thing is that they are load-on-demand, but show
up as togglable (is that even a word?) in the list
<thiago>   hmm... they probably shouldn't be togglable
<Sho_>     yup ..
<Sho_>     and they need a description for 3.5.7 *makes a note*
===