KOffice

Stephan Johach lucardus at onlinehome.de
Fri Jul 8 15:06:58 CEST 2005

Hi Martin!

Am Freitag, 8. Juli 2005 14:28 schrieb Martin Ellis:
> On Friday 08 Jul 2005 12:54, you wrote:
> > That is strange, as I already did this for Koffice 1.4 in stable. If he
> > is working in trunk we probably should have copied the stable translation
> > there first.
>
> OK, it's possible our translation instructions on our web site are wrong.

It's looks like they are outdated as they are referring to cvs not svn.
You better link to the standard KDE web pages for instructions on how to
translate kexi. Otherwise you spread confusion as not every translator
seems to be aware of i18n.kde.org and the team pages there.

> I don't understand the translation framework very well, and I didn't write
> the instructions.

The problem here is that the translation process is not very clear
at the moment. At least for packages like extragear and koffice.

Perhaps you should ask for clear instructions on kde-i18n-doc
as there seems to be much confusion at the moment how
to proceed for non standard packages. I recently found some extreagear
programs in stable were we did translation only in trunk in the past. So I
think you should contact the responsible persons who are
doing the neccessary copy actions to stable on how this should
be handled for kexi. koffice for example had an KOFFICE_1_3_BRANCH
but is now translated in stable.

> I've also read:
> http://oss.erdfunkstelle.de/kde-i18n/tiki-index.php?page=erlaeuterungenGuiP
>rozess so was expecting someone would want to review the changes before they
> are commited anyway.

Right. :)

> > We don't have a maintainer for kexi yet but kexi is translated in brach.
>
> OK.
>
> > Translation work has to be done in stable, not in trunk! If there are
> > plans to release another version of kexi then the po-files should be
> > copied to stable (based on the current stable translation) for all
> > languages and then updated by scripty. Otherwise you won't get
> > attentation by the translators and we loose translation work we have done
> > so far in stable.
>
> Understood.  We've had a lot of confusion with translations with Kexi due
> to some of the releases being independent from KOffice.   Perhaps you could
> contact him to resolve the issue?  He is Peter Thomassen,  his email is
> info <at> peter-thomassen.de.

I will do so.

> I'm very sorry if I'm now responsible for unnecessary work being done - I
> feel very bad for that.  I did ask others who deal with the translation
> process about this, but guess we've badly misunderstood each other.

Every translator should contact his translation team first. If Peter did not
it's not your fault. Otherwise he probably did but got no response as
our team leader Thomas Diehl is very busy at the moment and retired
indefinitely from his KDE jobs.

Stephan

--
Gegen Software-Patente!