[kdecat] Re: Pootle, KDE and Catalan

Dwayne Bailey dwayne at translate.org.za
Sun Jan 16 13:01:25 UTC 2005

On Mgq, 2005-01-15 at 22:41 +0100, Sebastia Pla i Sanz wrote:
> Hi Dwayne,
>
> I'm Sebastià Pla, team coordinator for the KDE Catalan translation. We have
> had a look at Pootle and we have seen that you have included KDE as a project
> and Catalan as a language, with a version around 3.3.x, it seems.

Yes we loaded many of those to stress test Pootle.

To answer your questions.

> We have some questions about how Pootle works. How the different versions are
> managed?

We are currently not managing the various KDE branches.  But these could
simply be loaded as different projects.

> How do you reconcile the work performed via Pootle and the work
> committed via cvs.kde.org?

Pootle PO data is uploaded wherever possible from CVS.  As Pootle works
directly with PO files this makes it easy.  At the moment KDE is not
being updated but as I said we loaded it as a stress test.

We regard CVS as the authority so the theory is that if there is a
conflict then we assume CVS was right.  We have a method of evaluating
suggestions in Pootle we could enable that to allow a Pootle translator
to resolve the issue.

There has been some discussion on the Pootle mailing list about
integrating CVS into Pootle to allow commits from within Pootle.

> How do you make available to Pootle contributors
> the discussions and results from our internal translations list?

We don't and its an interesting question.  My thinking on this is that
Pootle is a tool.  It's and extension of what you already do.  So a
Catalan KDE translator who uses Pootle should be on your list.  Any
other ideas?

--
Dwayne Bailey <dwayne at translate.org.za>
Translate.org.za