[Kde-hardware-devel] [GSoC] Extend&expand previous year project: KCM for pointing devices

Alexander Mezin mezin.alexander at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 14:34:34 UTC 2014

Hi.

I'm still a student and I want to continue working on project which I
did for previous GSoC (though I am not sure if it's a good idea).
My previous project is now called "Touchpad KCM" [1]. It is an KCM
(+kded module and applet) for touchpads.
Now I want to invent new KCM for mouses too. I think it's right time
for this change (plasma 2, etc.).
- Current KCM for mouses looks bad. At least, "testing area" could be
added here too. Also, it changes properties of "master pointer", so
touchpad is affected too.
- It could be useful to have different configurations (profiles) for
different mouses. Of course, appropriate profile should be applied
automatically depending on what mouse is plugged in.

Also, AFAIK there aren't any KCMs for ThinkPad's pointing stick.

This mouse KCM could (should?) be integrated with touchpad KCM. Or
there will be single KCM, handling all pointing devices. There is an
app called "Pointing Device Settings" [2] for Gnome, currently I think
about something that looks like it.

Also, I want to change many things related to touchpad too. For
example, now I think there should be different UIs for different
backends. I don't think Wayland's libinput will have so many options
(if I'm not mistaken, currently it doesn't allow to configure
anything), so if UI will be the same for Xorg and Wayland, there will
be a lot of disabled widgets - it doesn't look good. Maybe UI will
even be generated at runtime, depending on what properties are
supported.

Questions:
1) Is it acceptable to participate with almost same project?
2) Alex, do you want to be mentor again?

[1]: https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/utils/kcm-touchpad/
[2]: https://wiki.gnome.org/Attic/GPointingDeviceSettings