[Kde-hardware-devel] [libbluedevil] Bluez5 plans?

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Tue Mar 26 13:24:34 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 26 March 2013 11:57:31 Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Àlex, Daniel, list,
>
> I'm looking at replacing Bluez4 with Bluez5 in Arch Linux, so I am
> trying to figure out the status and plans of the various consumers of
> the Bluez dbus interface.
>
> I was happy to see there are already patches (by Daniel) to port
> libbluedevil to Bluez5, but I'm wondering if you have yet made any
> plans as to what release to include this in and what kind of
> time-frame we are looking at?
We have not talked about this (yet), but from what I have seen and test myself
this is something that can be done in a month if we work hard on it.
Personally I will be busy until Mid-May, do not know what Daniel plans are.

The feature matrix we should complete is this one:
http://community.kde.org/Solid/Projects/BlueDevil/Tests

We could do some tricks like keep using open-data-server while we get all the
features we need in bluez/obexd to speed up the process. I would not mind that
if it is useful for distros.

> A quick comment regarding Àlex' concern about dropping Bluez4 support:
> from a distro point of view, your work on multiple branches is
> certainly admirable and very helpful. However, projects requiring the
> most recent versions of their dependencies is quite routine by now, so
> something distros should be used to dealing with. In other words, I
> wouldn't worry too much about that if it turns out to be a PITA.
Before I invest all my time in BlueZ5 I'd like to at least fix all the
remaining bugs in the BlueZ4 version, that should not take too much time
though. Afterward I'm all for migrating to BlueZ5 (specially since Daniel did
most of the work already :p)

> If any of you are using Arch I threw up a package of bluez-5.3 which
> might be useful for testing:
> <https://dev.archlinux.org/~tomegun/bluez-5.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz>.
Awesome !