[Kde-hardware-devel] [libbluedevil] Bluez5 plans?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Mar 26 10:57:31 UTC 2013

Àlex, Daniel, list,

I'm looking at replacing Bluez4 with Bluez5 in Arch Linux, so I am
trying to figure out the status and plans of the various consumers of
the Bluez dbus interface.

I was happy to see there are already patches (by Daniel) to port
libbluedevil to Bluez5, but I'm wondering if you have yet made any
plans as to what release to include this in and what kind of
time-frame we are looking at?

A quick comment regarding Àlex' concern about dropping Bluez4 support:
from a distro point of view, your work on multiple branches is
certainly admirable and very helpful. However, projects requiring the
most recent versions of their dependencies is quite routine by now, so
something distros should be used to dealing with. In other words, I
wouldn't worry too much about that if it turns out to be a PITA.

If any of you are using Arch I threw up a package of bluez-5.3 which
might be useful for testing:
<https://dev.archlinux.org/~tomegun/bluez-5.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz>.

Cheers,

Tom