[Kde-hardware-devel] upnp backends, what to do with them?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Oct 9 18:42:19 UTC 2012

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 9. Oktober 2012, 19:35:04 schrieb Alex Fiestas:
> For some weeks/months now the upnp backend as not been building with this
> error:
>
> libHUpnp.a(hmulticast_socket.o):
> (.data.rel.ro._ZTVN5Herqq4Upnp16HMulticastSocketE[_ZTVN5Herqq4Upnp16HMultica
> stSocketE]+0xe8): undefined reference to `QAbstractSocket::writeData(char
> const*, long long)'
>
> I remember that we were super close to have it working but we failed to
> finish the last mile :/
>
> So I can't stop wondering what to do with those backends.
>
> kupnp is already disabled in cmake, what's its status?

KUPnP was a small wrapper around the Cagibi SSDP daemon and only could report
which devices are available and their static properties, but not interact with
them to e.g. query dynamic states or even invoke actions.

That is why the solid plugin was redone with Hupnp, from what I understood. I
was not involved and have no clue about Hupnp.

> upnp is not working, but I'm quite sure we almost got it working at some
> point. Is anyone willing to step up and try to gix it?
>
> Paulo, Kossebau, do you feel like giving this another try ?

As I still do not own a single device where I need UPnP to work (like
mediaservers as the most important application) I am sorry but must say that
this stuff moved pretty low on my overcrowded TODO list, so nothing to expect
here from me the next months.

The only thing I might have interest to fix is that the latest Cagibi does not
correctly work on the system D-Bus, but I never had enough of feedback to fix
it properly. Possibly the Amarok UPnP plugin might also still rely partly on
Cagibi and thus does not work with the latest version.
As well as the network:/ kio-slave for UPnP devices, which relies for that on
Cagibi as well and currently just lists zeroconf ones.

So if anyone needs Cagibi working and is seeing into fixing it, I can and will
assist.

Cheers
Friedrich