[Kde-hardware-devel] Devices disappear after unmounting

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Sun May 22 22:32:52 CEST 2011

Hello metalworkers!

 as far as I can see there has been some behavioral change in dealing with previously mounted devices (with the udisks backend at least):

- in kde 4.6 and previous releases a device stays visible (in dolphin and the device notifier) after being unmounted;
- in current master a device disappears after the release process.

I am not sure whether this is a wanted feature or a bug, but I couldn't find a commit in the log where this behavior
change is mentioned.

If the change was planned, as the device notifier mantainer I don't quite like to have this as the default behavior:
first of all because it's a quite radical change and people have been educated to the old way of dealing with devices since ever; on top of that, the behavior would be different for different backends, and this is not good at all.

Moreover, there are issues with the feature as-is:
in particular if a device with more than one partition is plugged in, and one partition is mounted, unmounting it will make
all partitions disappear; this is definitely not correct, and not what the user would expect.
Moreover I suspect that this applies also to multi-card readers and such and this is again unexpected.

If the change is a bug, then I'll be happy to help fixing it :)
Lukáš,  do you know more about this?

Thanks,
 __J