[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: Request: Inclusion of kio-upnp-ms to kde-runtime KIO slaves

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun May 22 13:49:27 CEST 2011

Hi Nikhil,

Jeudi, le 12. mai 2011, à 01:38, Nikhil Marathe a écrit:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
>
> <kossebau at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi Nikhil,
> >
> > you know that today, April 12th, is already Hard Feature Freeze?! Would
> > be really sad if your upnp-ms kio-slave misses the deadline now!
>
> Hi Fredrik,
> I have been moving halfway across the world the last 4-5 days and so I
> couldn't really do anything.

For starting on a job, I guess? So congrats for that, wish you much joy! :)

> I am at work, and don't have access to my laptop right now, but I'll
> ensure your changes are in by tonight.
> Aren't there circumstances under which certain features get some
> leeway in being merged even after hard feature
> freeze due to exceptional reasons? Any chance we can do this for the
> slave, since the code itself has been pretty
> well tested already.

I would think there is a chance, if you can list the reasons:
Do you know of distris which have the upnp-ms kio-slave in use?
Which versions of Amarok make use of it/depend on it?
And what ever else you think makes the release-team and others confident the
inclusion now will be still okay and worth an exception.

From what grep tells me, there are only three strings to be translated (and
some more in the tests, but I do think you can/should remove i18n from there,
testers usually don't need/want translated strings), and only for errors, so
translators (and users) might be okay with an exception here.

<snipped content="comments on code optimizations" />

> >> If there is no objection I would like to request a merge into
> >> kde-runtime. I will edit the 4.7 feature plan for the same.
> >
> > I would think this is already a request ;) But if there is not enough
> > time now and others would like to do their own review before it gets
> > into kde-runtime, as there has not been an official merge request yet
> > via
> > https://git.reviewboard.kde.org, let's at least do the trick to still be
> > part of the next release wave by "upgrading" the repo from playground to
> > Extragear/Base as fast as possible.
>
> Do you mean I should abandon the inclusion in 4.7 and instead aim for 4.8?
> I really think this should go in 4.7.

So do I, and surely do Kevin and the metalworkers (because e.g. the Places
integration would be useless otherwise). But you must push for it yourself,
you are the maintainer. Or ask somebody else to do that in-place for you if
life currently has swamped you with even more important tasks :) I would be
willing to do so, if you want.

Cheers
Friedrich
--