[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: Should we remove "Information Sources"?

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Sun Jun 12 01:17:01 CEST 2011

On Saturday, June 11, 2011 08:00:08 PM Lamarque Vieira Souza wrote:
> Em Saturday 11 June 2011, Alex Fiestas escreveu:
> > Hi there (again? xd)
> >
> > Now that we've almost got rid of Solid::Control, this KCM is almost
> > useless and unmaintined, right now on Master it is showing to me:
> >
> > Network Management Bakckend:
> > NM 0.7
> > Wicd // Not working afaik
> > Fake Net // Not useful for the user
> >
> > SolidRemoveControlManager:
> > This is not longer on Solid::Control...
> >
> > Modem Management Backend:
> > MM 0.4
> >
> > So, should I proceed and delete it? any objections?
>
> 	Well, just one: "Information Sources" allows to change backends
> priorities and Solid's Networkmagement system has three backends now:
> NM-0.7, NM-0.9 and Wicd. Users will not be able to change between them,
> although very few people uses Solid's Wicd backend.
is Wicd backend even working? I don't think so...

> 	Besides if the NM-0.7 backend has higher priority than the NM-0.9's when
> someone try to run Plasma NM (nm09 branch) it may crash Plasma NM since both
> NM backends are not binary compatible. Changing the backend NM-0.9 priority
> to be higher than NM-0.7's solves this problem. By default NM-0.9 has
> higher priority, so this is not a big issue now.
Well, this should be handled at distribution level I think, making NM0.9
conflict with NM0.7.

Anyway, if you really think that we should keep it because of
NetworkManagement, then we can morph it into a NM only thing and put it within
"Network Settings", what do you think?