[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: Should we remove "Information Sources"?

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 01:00:08 CEST 2011

Em Saturday 11 June 2011, Alex Fiestas escreveu:
> Hi there (again? xd)
>
> Now that we've almost got rid of Solid::Control, this KCM is almost useless
> and unmaintined, right now on Master it is showing to me:
>
> Network Management Bakckend:
> NM 0.7
> Wicd // Not working afaik
> Fake Net // Not useful for the user
>
> SolidRemoveControlManager:
> This is not longer on Solid::Control...
>
> Modem Management Backend:
> MM 0.4
>
> So, should I proceed and delete it? any objections?

	Well, just one: "Information Sources" allows to change backends
priorities and Solid's Networkmagement system has three backends now: NM-0.7,
NM-0.9 and Wicd. Users will not be able to change between them, although very
few people uses Solid's Wicd backend.

	Besides if the NM-0.7 backend has higher priority than the NM-0.9's when
someone try to run Plasma NM (nm09 branch) it may crash Plasma NM since both
NM backends are not binary compatible. Changing the backend NM-0.9 priority to
be higher than NM-0.7's solves this problem. By default NM-0.9 has higher
priority, so this is not a big issue now.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm