[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: Should we remove "Information Sources"?

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 02:01:20 CEST 2011

Em Saturday 11 June 2011, Alex Fiestas escreveu:
> On Saturday, June 11, 2011 08:00:08 PM Lamarque Vieira Souza wrote:
> > Em Saturday 11 June 2011, Alex Fiestas escreveu:
> > > Hi there (again? xd)
> > >
> > > Now that we've almost got rid of Solid::Control, this KCM is almost
> > > useless and unmaintined, right now on Master it is showing to me:
> > >
> > > Network Management Bakckend:
> > > NM 0.7
> > > Wicd // Not working afaik
> > > Fake Net // Not useful for the user
> > >
> > > SolidRemoveControlManager:
> > > This is not longer on Solid::Control...
> > >
> > > Modem Management Backend:
> > > MM 0.4
> > >
> > > So, should I proceed and delete it? any objections?
> >
> > 	Well, just one: "Information Sources" allows to change backends
> >
> > priorities and Solid's Networkmagement system has three backends now:
> > NM-0.7, NM-0.9 and Wicd. Users will not be able to change between them,
> > although very few people uses Solid's Wicd backend.
>
> is Wicd backend even working? I don't think so...

	It works for ethernet and wireless, not for mobile broadband and VPN.
IIRC wicd does not support mobile broadband, I do not know why VPN does not
work, maybe it is also not supported. I fixed a crash in it some months ago
and Plasma NM emits some erroneous notifications when using it. There is
nobody maintained it, I fixed the bug because it was a crash that prevented it
to work.

> > 	Besides if the NM-0.7 backend has higher priority than the NM-0.9's when
> >
> > someone try to run Plasma NM (nm09 branch) it may crash Plasma NM since
> > both NM backends are not binary compatible. Changing the backend NM-0.9
> > priority to be higher than NM-0.7's solves this problem. By default
> > NM-0.9 has higher priority, so this is not a big issue now.
>
> Well, this should be handled at distribution level I think, making NM0.9
> conflict with NM0.7.
>
> Anyway, if you really think that we should keep it because of
> NetworkManagement, then we can morph it into a NM only thing and put it
> within "Network Settings", what do you think?

	We can move the NM part to Plasma NM's kcm module. Ok, you can remove it,
I will handle any problem that arises.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm