[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: Hal-less status (implemented interfaces)

Christopher Blauvelt cblauvelt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 02:32:58 CET 2011

Can you give me some names? maybe we can arrange something :)
> however feel free to deprecate the interface until someone codes
> > one.
>
> Well, the thing is that Solid as a library should support features that
> are needed by more than one application, and so far nobody is using
> SmartCardReader api (since it never worked).
>
> But since we're providing the interface I'm willing to implement it but
> I need some info + maybe hardware.

There are two projects that aim support smart cards.  There is MUSCLE which
is an acronym for Movement for the Use of Smart Cards in a Linux Environment
and can be found at http://www.musclecard.com/index.html.  There is also
OpenSC which can be found at http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc.  Both
these projects could support smart card integration into solid.

The only property that's currently supported is the reader type (Card Reader
or Crypto Token) as this was all Hal was going to provide.

One use case I see is KDM where you can logon by inserting your card and
typing your pin. This would require additions to the interface such as:
bool SmartCardReader::isCardInserted() const;
signal SmartCardReader::cardInserted();

If you're feeling so bold I would be happy to help test with my reader
(although I'll have to find my smartcard).

Chris