[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: Hal-less status (implemented interfaces)

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Jan 3 19:48:55 CET 2011

On Sunday 19 December 2010 20:45:35 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> We're close to accomplish one of our goals, a KDE 4.6 which doesn't
> depends on HAL and 100% retrocompatible, good work to everyone!

Congrats for taking the torch and running away with it on that one! Was badly
needed, it's really appreciated.

> Below you can find a small summary of what backends are implementing
> what interfaces (according to supportedInterfaces). When writing this
> list I got couple of doubts
>
> 1-Is true that nobody is implementing Buttons? sounds weird to me :s

Shouldn't be a problem as the only consumer was basically PowerDevil. In such
case I'm even pondering marking Button as deprecated.

> 2-Someone has a SmartCardReader? I don't see how to implement this in
> hal source :/

I'm not sure that one ever worked to be honest, it got in at a time were I was
much more relaxed in getting API in... It's another case of "should probably
be deprecated in the new Solid ecosystem as defined at the sprint".

> I will try to get SerialInterface implemented in the next few days, and
> if Button needs to be implemented, I think that I can do that in a
> couple of days too (according to hal source code it doesn't seems very
> complicated).
>
> Cyap!
>
> ==============Backend<---->Interface relations===================
> Not implemented:
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::Button
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::SerialInterface
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::SmartCardReader;
>
> UDev:
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::Processor
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::AudioInterface
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::NetworkInterface
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::Camera
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::PortableMediaPlayer
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::DvbInterface
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::Video
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::Block
>
> UPower:
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::AcAdapter
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::Battery
>
> UDisk:
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::StorageAccess
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::StorageDrive
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::OpticalDrive
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::OpticalDisc
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::StorageVolume
>      Solid::DeviceInterface::Block

It's likely worth putting somewhere on techbase.

Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net